Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Wellington Libraries Cut to the Bone

Wellington Libraries Cut to the Bone

Almost two million dollars will have been taken out of Wellington City Council’s libraries budget over the past three years if another round of cuts goes ahead, according to the Public Service Association.

The Council is currently considering its overall annual budget.  As part of that it is proposing a $400,000 budget cut to libraries this year, on top of last year’s $800,000 cut and similar cuts in 2011.

PSA National Secretary Brenda Pilott says the Council claims it wants to maintain its library network and services but the reality is they are being cut to the bone.

“Library workers are increasingly receiving complaints from users about reduced services but I think ratepayers would be shocked to realise how much money has progressively been cut from the libraries budget.”

The cuts have led to frontline job losses, particularly among professional librarians, customer service desks have been reduced, children’s book clubs and holiday programmes have been cancelled, stock rotation has been affected and there are plans to reduce opening hours at a number of suburban libraries.

Library services are also consistently rated as the services most valued by New Zealanders as measured by the State Services Commission’s Kiwis Count survey.

“Libraries and the services they provide are valuable community, educational and social assets.  Wellington City Council likes to pride itself on being the cultural capital but these cuts run counter to that,” says Brenda Pilott.

The PSA has made a comprehensive submission on the Council’s Annual Plan and is calling on the Council to withdraw the proposed budget cuts and to reinstate cuts made in previous years.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Work, Curfew

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news