Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search


Improved vetting needed yesterday

Improved vetting needed yesterday

June 17, 2013

Improved vetting of Child, Youth & Family caregivers can't come soon enough, says the head of a mentoring programme that has successfully screened over 550 men since 1997.

Big Buddy CEO Richard Aston’s call follows the release of child abuse statistics showing a 32% rise over the last five years. More than 21,000 cases were reported last year, resulting in some 4000 children being placed in supposedly safe CYF homes. At least 23 of these children were further abused in care.

“This is simply unacceptable and should not be happening,” says Richard Aston. “Improved vetting should be an absolute priority for Government if we want to safeguard vulnerable children – particularly those taken into care. If Big Buddy can do it for fatherless boys, CYF can do it for children in their care.”

The Children’s Action Plan – released last October - promised new vetting and screening guidelines within six months and draft legislation by the end of this year.

“I wonder how that’s going,” says Richard Aston. “It’s simply not good enough for Prime Minister John Key to say the higher rates probably reflect increased reporting. 23 children being abused in care is 23 too many.”

The latest figures prompted District Court Judge Carolyn Henwood to call for an independent monitoring organisation for children in care.

Richard Aston says independent monitoring is a sensible suggestion, but “let’s start where the problem is - with the abusers - not the children. Let's get serious about protecting our children by urgently setting up an independent screening agency."

The call for urgent action is supported by Family Action CEO Michelle Clayton. “We work with children and adults who have experienced abuse and see the devastating effects on their lives and enormous impact on their families. Steps to protect children should be a priority.”

Ministry of Social Development deputy chief executive David Shanks said criminal checks for CYF placements only became compulsory early in 2012. He said the process had since been strengthened “with staff expected to do police checks if there were any concerns around family/whanau placements”.

But criminal checks are simply not good enough, says Richard Aston. "A police check is just one part of a much bigger screening process. We have developed a robust 360-degree process to ensure the safety of the fatherless boys we work with. We are confident we can identify emotionally unsafe men and active and potential sex offenders, who we would not accept as mentors. I challenge CYF to do the same, as an urgent priority."



© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news