Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Cardiff Council Appoints New Chief Executive

September 26, 2013

Cardiff Council Appoints New Chief Executive

Paul Orders, the current Chief Executive of Dunedin City Council, has been appointed as Cardiff Council’s new Chief Executive.

The decision was agreed at a meeting of full Council today (Thursday, September 26) following a recommendation by Cardiff Council’s Appointments Committee.

Paul had previously worked for Cardiff Council in a variety of roles including Corporate Director before leaving to join Dunedin.

He said he is looking forward to returning home, “I am delighted to have been appointed as the new Chief Executive of Cardiff Council and to be given an opportunity to resume making a contribution to the Capital City of Wales.

"In many ways this is an exciting time for Cardiff with the Council committed to delivering the next phase of Cardiff's development as a European Capital City that is also the mainstay of a successful city-region. I am very much looking forward to being part of what lies ahead.

"As Chief Executive, I will be focused on supporting the Leader, Cabinet and Councillors to meet the challenges of an unprecedented financial squeeze, and leading what I know is a talented and dedicated group of staff as services are reshaped to reflect new budgetary realities."

The Chief Executive role is vital to the Council and includes the statutory responsibility of Head of Paid Service. Christine Salter has been carrying out the role of Interim Head of Paid Service.

Paul spent 13 years working for Cardiff Council in a succession of roles, ending up as Corporate Director with management responsibilities that included economic development, regeneration, planning, transport, parks, leisure, venues, and waste management.

Council Leader Heather Joyce said: “I am delighted that Paul’s appointment as the new Chief Executive has now been approved by full council.

“Paul is an excellent candidate who really impressed the appointment committee with his drive, enthusiasm and dedication to the city.

“I am looking forward to working with him and am sure his skills and expertise will ensure that we are in the best position to meet the tough challenges facing local government during this time of dwindling budgets and increasing demands for services.

“I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Christine for her strong management skills and hard work as Interim Head of Paid Service since she took over this role in the summer. Christine has provided continuity and guidance and my Cabinet and I are grateful for her continuing support.”

Paul Orders biography
Paul Orders is Chief Executive of Dunedin City Council, taking up the post in September 2011.

Employed by the Council to deliver its budget and policy priorities, he has led the Council management and staff through a period of change, focusing among other issues on financial management, the delivery and performance of Council services, organisational development, and Dunedin's economic development strategy.

Previously, Paul spent 13 years working for Cardiff Council in a succession of roles, ending up as Corporate Director with management responsibilities that included economic development, regeneration, planning, transport, parks, leisure, venues, and waste management.

Paul comes from Maesteg and attended Archbishop McGrath Comprehensive School, in Tondu. He is a graduate of the Universities of Cardiff, London and Cambridge, where he obtained a doctorate in history, and is an Honorary Research Fellow at Cardiff University. He is aged 44 and married with three children.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On What John Banks And Nick Smith Have In Common

The defence that John Banks has been offering to the charges of electoral fraud – that he didn’t read the document he signed, and therefore lacked the necessary criminal intent – is a fairly standard example of political business as usual.

At a time when political power is being centralised downtown in the Executive, responsibility is being re-located to the suburbs. The Beehive seeks to operate as a blame free, shame free environment. At all times, plausible deniability is to be maintained.

Being able to put distance between the Minister and the actions/outcomes/political fallout of policy is not simply the last desperate resort of scoundrels, but the first resort of the foot soldiers in ministerial service... More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court. More>>

ALSO:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news