Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Carer payments system is not nice, not right, and won't work

Carer payments system is not nice, it's not right, and it won't work

The New Zealand Carers Alliance says the new Government payment scheme for family carers will create more problems than it solves.
 
The Chairman of the NZ Carers Alliance, John Forman, said it will do nothing other than pit disabled people against their closest loved ones, by introducing an employer dimension into family relationships.
 
“It takes no account of the fact that the 1600 carers who qualify are in many cases also the disabled person’s parent - putting the decision-making on the shoulders of a person who may be severely or profoundly disabled. In addition, there are so many service and compliance layers that it will cost a fortune to monitor,” John Forman said.
 
“In its announcement the Government makes much of the fact that it consulted with experts to craft this policy. The very limited feedback opportunities we could provide was ignored, and the result is the Funded Family Care payment is a dog’s breakfast. It’s not nice, it’s not right, and it won’t work,” he said.
 
John Forman said the best that could be said of the scheme is that there are 1600 carers who will be paid the minimum wage for some of their work. However, he said it was a ‘cheap and dirty’ response to a major social policy issue, and a raw deal for carers and those they support. He said a more workable solution would have been for family carers to be paid directly by the Government as independent contractors. This would have been far more practical, and respectful of the carer and the disabled person, he said.
 
Released without fanfare late Thursday by the Government, the new Funded Family Care scheme will see high-needs disabled people having to employ their parents or other close family members, as well as oversee compliance tasks such as ACC levies and Kiwisaver contributions.
 
The scheme comes into effect in a few days, but the Government has been secretive about details about how it will work, perhaps knowing it would get an unfavourable response from carers and their advocates, John Forman said.
 
Family carers, who support New Zealand’s ill, elderly, and disabled loved ones at home, had hoped for better following a long-running human rights battle to recognise their unpaid work.
 
Last year the Government agreed to take the issue out of the courts and work with affected parties to find a solution. Following a public consultation, it announced that it would pay 1600 parents of disabled adults who have high support needs the minimum wage for up to 40 hours per week, injecting $92 million over four years into the new payment.
 
It then passed urgent legislation to close down the possibility of payment challenges from other carers excluded from the new policy, such as spouses, carers of older people, and parents of disabled children. The move angered many and has put the Government under the international human rights spotlight, while in New Zealand the Law Society and others claim it has breached the Bill of Rights.
 
The NZ Carers Alliance is a coalition of 45 not-for-profit organisations, which was formed to advocate for the rights of family carers.
 
For more information about the NZ Carers Alliance, go to http://www.carers.net.nz/home.
 
Information about the Funded Family Care implementation can be found at http://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/services-and-support/disability-services/funded-family-care#getffc
 
For a carer’s take on the new scheme and its many pitfalls, see http://autismandoughtisms.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/whats-so-very-very-wrong-with-funded-family-care/
 
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On What John Banks And Nick Smith Have In Common

The defence that John Banks has been offering to the charges of electoral fraud – that he didn’t read the document he signed, and therefore lacked the necessary criminal intent – is a fairly standard example of political business as usual.

At a time when political power is being centralised downtown in the Executive, responsibility is being re-located to the suburbs. The Beehive seeks to operate as a blame free, shame free environment. At all times, plausible deniability is to be maintained.

Being able to put distance between the Minister and the actions/outcomes/political fallout of policy is not simply the last desperate resort of scoundrels, but the first resort of the foot soldiers in ministerial service... More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court. More>>

ALSO:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news