Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Reserve Bank moves to protect banks

Media Release

Wednesday 2 October 2013

Reserve Bank moves to protect banks

“The Reserve Bank’s new housing deposit policy that came into force yesterday requiring a minimum of 20 percent deposit on mortgages has nothing to do with trying to contain a housing bubble driven by Auckland property prices” said Chris Leitch, DSC Deputy Leader and Finance Spokesman.

“Just like other recent moves, it is purely to protect the overseas owned banks and will limit their exposure should the housing bubble burst.

“They can now claim it is not their fault they cannot lend on increasingly shaky looking mortgage levels, and so deflect criticism onto someone else.

“First home buyers in our major cities in particular, are likely never to be able to afford to get themselves into home ownership.

“This move backs up the Reserve Bank proposal to give individual banks the ability to remove sufficient money from the accounts of all depositors to prop themselves up in the event of a bank failure.

“Just like in Greece depositors would find their accounts raided by the very banks they put money into for safekeeping.

“And if that is not enough protection, the Reserve Bank is now signalling a possible rise in interest rates to give the banks even greater profits than the $3.5 billion they dragged out of the economy in profits last year.

“At the very time when an improvement in the economy is on the horizon, the Reserve Bank proposes to strangle the increased economic activity and increased employment opportunities by pulling more money out of New Zealander’s pockets and putting it into the pockets of the banks.

“Kiwis are paying the price of having their own central bank working hand in glove with the overseas owned banks against them”.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news