Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Bain tests debunk 3rd Degree 'game-changer evidence" claim

Bain tests debunk 3rd Degree 'game-changer evidence" claim

Monday, 7 October 2013 - 1:50pm

National News

Scientific analysis by fingerprint and firearms experts do not support claims that gun powder residue caused the marks on Robin Bain's fingers.

Police have released an analysis of the original fingerprints taken from Robin Bain plus a report on testing of the firearm used in the Bain homicides.

This follows claims by the 3rd Degree programme in June that marks on pictures of Robin Bain's thumb were caused by gun powder residue from the firearm's magazine.

Police fingerprint experts examined the original post mortem fingerprint forms taken at the mortuary and compared those to the marks seen in the photographs of Robin Bain’s thumb and forefinger.

That examination confirmed that features were observed in the fingerprints which corresponded accurately with the marks shown in the photographs.

The experts concluded that this was strongly indicative that the marks shown in the photographs were the result of minor superficial damage to the skin surface.

Tests were also carried out by an ESR firearms expert on the weapon used in the Bain homicides. These tests aimed to replicate residue marks that were similar in appearance and position to the marks shown in the photographs of Robin Bain’s fingers.

The scientist formed the opinion that although there appeared to be a pair of lines on Mr Bain’s thumb that could have resulted from loading a cartridge into a magazine, there was considerable doubt that the shape, dimensions and colour of the marks on Mr Bain’s thumb were consistent with marks made as a result of loading a cartridge into a magazine.

"These tests have been carried out using accredited experts in controlled conditions with access to the original exhibits and in the presence of Mr Bain's advocates" says Assistant Commissioner Malcolm Burgess.

"The most likely explanation for the marks on the photographs would seem to be pre-existing damage or injury to the skin on Robin Bain's thumb.

"I am satisfied that this scientific analysis shows the marks highlighted by the 3rd Degree programme are anything but the 'game changer evidence' the programme claimed" said Mr Burgess.

END

Full copies of the fingerprint and firearms reports have been made available to the relevant parties and can be found here:

http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/bain-esr-firearm-report.pdf [Scoop copy]

http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/bain-police-fingerprint-report.pdf [Scoop copy]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news