Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Celia Wade-Brown wins Wellington Mayoralty

NEWS RELEASE
12 October 2013

Celia Wade-Brown wins Wellington Mayoralty

Celia Wade-Brown is set to carry on as Wellington Mayor for the next three years.

She beat the next highest-polling candidate, John Morrison, by a total of 2284 votes, based on preliminary results.

A total of 1570 special votes were issued, and of those returned to the Electoral Officer by the deadline of 12 noon today, 650 are left to be qualified and counted. Wellington City Electoral Officer Charlie Inggs says special votes take more time to count as the Registrar of Electors has to confirm the elector’s enrolment, which will take until Wednesday 16 October.

Ms Wade-Brown will be sworn in as Mayor by the end of October for her second triennium.

City Councillors elected under the preliminary results were: Justin Lester, Malcolm Sparrow and Helene Ritchie (Northern Ward), Andy Foster, Jo Coughlan and Simon Woolf (Onslow-Western Ward), Iona Pannett, Nicola Young and Mark Peck (Lambton Ward), Simon Swampy Marsh, Ray Ahipene-Mercer and Sarah Free (Eastern Ward), Paul Eagle and David Lee (Southern Ward).

Incumbent Councillors Leonie Gill (Eastern Ward) and Bryan Pepperell (Southern Ward) were not returned under the preliminary results.

The preliminary list of results by Ward, and for the Tawa Community Board, is attached as a Word document.

Voter turnout was 40.85 percent, excluding special votes, a slight increase on the 2010 election turnout as of election day of 39.54 percent.

The declaration of the final election result is expected to be published in local newspapers this Thursday. The Mayor and Councillors take office the day after the official declaration (Friday), however they cannot act until they are sworn in. Non-returning existing Councillors will leave office on Friday.

Ward By Ward Results

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Criminalising The Partners Of Welfare Fraudsters (And The US Meltdown)

Talking of days that will live in infamy, today is when the measures that criminalise the partners and spouses of those who commit welfare fraud will come into effect. More>>

ALSO:

Compulsory Savings Mooted: Labour Backs Universal KiwiSaver

Yet again National has been shown up as completely left behind on the sustainability of our retirement debate, as the Financial Service Council’s call for a universal KiwiSaver scheme shows, says Labour Finance spokesperson David Parker... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news