Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Justice Establishment should hang their heads in shame

Justice Establishment should hang their heads in shame


The Sensible Sentencing Trust says the victims of a serial sex-offender could have been spared their ordeal if an On-Line Offender Register was in operation.

The 89-year old Wellington man, one of the oldest men to be sentenced for historic sexual abuse, pleaded guilty to 42 charges of indecencies to boys and girls, attempted rape, and unlawful sexual connection.

During sentencing, Judge John Butler said the man had previous convictions for obscene exposure and attempted indecent assault dating back to the 1950s.

Spokesman, Garth McVicar said the Justice Establishment should hang their heads in shame over a decision that has sent shockwaves through the general public.

“How many more children must be abused before politicians show some courage and introduce an On-Line Sex-Offender Register to protect the public from offenders like this?” McVicar says. “This predator, hiding in a man’s clothing, has been able to prey on innocent children for a period spanning 50 odd years!”

McVicar also is furious over the protection of sex-offenders. “It appears that our Justice Establishment is hell-bent on protecting sex-offenders rather than protecting our women and children from them.”

The Sensible Sentencing Trust is currently facing legal action from the Director of Human Rights who alleges the Trust breached a convicted pedophile’s privacy by naming him on the Trusts sex-offender register. The offender alleges he has name suppression but extensive inquiries by the Privacy Commissioner and the Director of Human Rights has failed to produce any evidence that any such suppression order exists.

The Trust is vowing to use the case as an example of the need for an official On-Line Register. The case is due to be heard in Court in August.

Mr McVicar said many countries make public safety the paramount consideration by having a publicly available on line register. “Here in New Zealand our Courts and Govt Departments go to extraordinary lengths to ensure the offenders are protected.

“The Establishment is, in effect, underwriting the actions of pedophiles and creating thousands of victims”.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

#SaveCampbellLive : Mediaworks Delivered 104,000 Petition Signatures At TV3's Newton HQ
#PonyTailGate #TailGate Full Coverage

Pukeahu Park : ANZAC 100th Anniversary Dawn Service In Pictures

Roughly 18,000 people gathered this morning at Pukeahu Memorial Park for the Anzac day centenary. Anticipating the large turnout, patrons arrived as early as 4.30. It was virtually impossible to get near the Memorial after 5am. By 6, the crowds on Taranaki Street had stretched as far back as the Z Petrol station.

The screens erected around the park displayed the live events to those who had turned up. The heat generated by the huge number of people caused many to take a turn. Medics and ambulances were on hand for the fainting crowd members. Only twenty minutes into the ceremony, one medic said they had already dealt with 15 to 20 spells. More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

War: What’s To Commemorate?

Gordon Campbell in Werewolf: Is there anything that can be validly commemorated on this 100th anniversary of Gallipoli? Beyond, that is, a fleeting sense of empathy with the thousands of soldiers killed or wounded on April 25 1915 and in the months thereafter, until the whole thing was finally called off in December 1915. More>>

MORE IN WEREWOLF:

ALSO:

Peter Ellis Case: Minister Declines Request For Commission Of Inquiry

Justice Minister Amy Adams has declined a request from supporters of Peter Ellis for a Commission of Inquiry on the basis that an inquiry cannot be used to determine the liability of any person. More>>

Quakes: New Process For Red Zone Crown Offers

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced a process to give everyone a say on the Crown offers to owners of vacant, commercial/industrial and uninsured properties in the Residential Red Zone. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Battle Obama Is Waging Over The TPP

For the past two and a half years, this column has been arguing that the fate of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal will hinge on whether US President Barack Obama can win Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) from Congress... Last week, the White House finally, finally unveiled a draft TPA Bill. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Govt Breaks Free Doctors Visit Promise To Kids

Documents obtained by the Green Party show that the Government decided to fund only 90 percent of doctors’ visits for children suffering from an injury in an attempt trim the cost of the so-called “free” visits. More>>

ALSO:

Other Wars: Extension Of NZDF Commitment In Afghanistan

The New Zealand Defence Force’s commitment of mentors and support staff to the Afghan National Army Officer Academy in Afghanistan has been extended out to December 2016, Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

PM's Press Conference: Auckland Property Prices Increasing "Too Rapidly"

John Key accepted that Auckland property prices 'are going up too rapidly” in a press conference held today in Wellington, however he said that this is not anything new. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news