Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Correction: Ali Jones, Southern No Response co-organiser

CORRECTION: from Ali Jones, Southern No Response co-organiser

“Earlier this week, I stated that it appeared that there was a number of claims unaccounted for following protests last year when people handed “one pagers” related to their claims with Southern Response. I was incorrect and I have spoken with Mr Rose (CEO at SR) and apologised. I had taken the number of claims handed to Mr Rose after the protest (around 49/50), added the claim concerns that came in afterwards (about 50) and said that was the number handed to him on the day(around 100) – then added the claims that came in afterwards, which was about another 49 or so – which is where I got the 149 total from.

I must correct this as we cannot demand transparency, professionalism, honesty and good communication from SR if we are not prepared to do that ourselves. This, however, does not, and should not, detract from the issues Southern No Response raised in the media release earlier this week, on behalf of tired and stressed claimants.

This correction should also not in any way support Southern Response’s ongoing attempt to dismiss the complaints as being from an insignificant number of Southern Response and Arrow claimants, a group he has publicly referred to as “hardcore”.  It is unfortunate that Southern Response believes that anyone who complains about the appalling service received from them and Arrow International is "hard core".

In fact the number of people booked to attend the SR claimants February 11 meeting at the Westpac Business Hub  is currently sitting at 249 and a decision will be made soon as to whether we change the meeting to a venue that is able to accommodate a much larger number of claimants.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news