Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Sea Borne Protest Against Otago Drilling Announced

Sea Borne Protest Against Otago Drilling Announced

Press Release Oil Free Otago
Thursday 30 January 2014

At 8am tomorrow the SV Tiama will be arriving in Dunedin to meet with Oil Free Otago and discuss plans for setting sail to protest against Anadarko's drill ship, the Noble Bob Douglas, 60km off the coast of Tairoa Heads where Anadarko intend to begin exploratory deep sea oil drilling in coming days. 

The Tiama and Oil Free Otago intend to peacefully confront the Anadarko commissioned drillship the Noble Bob Douglas, and request that they halt their operations for the sake of the climate, our local economy, and the coastlines of New Zealand. 

Tiama skipper, Henk Haazen, has been involved with protesting nuclear testing in the Pacific, and deep sea oil drilling (both off the East Cape against Petrobras in  2010, and more recently off the coast of Raglan against Anadarko). Henk, and the Bluff based SV Tiama, now join Oil Free Otago to oppose deep sea drilling off the coast of Otago. 

"Henk has defended our oceans for decades, so it's great to have someone with such a wealth of experience to support us, the people of Otago, in standing up to Anadarko,"  said Oil Free Otago spokesperson Niamh O'Flynn.

Haazen said, "As a part of the Oil Free Seas flotilla that formed off Raglan in November to protest Anadarko’s drilling in New Zealand waters and the dangers that this deep sea drilling brings to our oceans and coastlines, I am proud to show support for communities who are demanding a clean energy future."

The Noble Bob Douglas is at the end of their drilling program 110 nautical miles off the coast of Raglan, and their arrival in Otago waters is expected imminently.
Their drill  in the Canterbury Basin will be their second deep sea exploratory well to be drilled in New Zealand. Exploratory drilling is the riskiest stage of drilling and lead to the worst oceanic oil spill in history in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 for which Anadarko (as 25% owner of the Macondo Prospect) were found jointly and severally liable by US Courts.
Anadarko have undertaken spill modelling based on striking condensate off Otago (not gas).

Oil Free Otago is inviting other boat boat owners to join in a peaceful protest flotilla. To join, please contact Niamh O'Flynn.

SV Tiama will be docking at 8.00am tomorrow morning at 1 Birch Street, in Otago Harbour. 

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news