Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Auckland fishing company convicted for fisheries offending

Auckland fishing company convicted for fisheries offending


10 February 2014

An Auckland-based commercial fishing company and its Nelson based skipper were sentenced on Friday 7 February in the Wellington District Court for making false statements on fishing returns for the 2009/10 commercial fishing season and bottom trawling in a protected area.

Antons Trawling Company Limited and Kyle Hasson, its then employee (skipper), were both convicted of making false or misleading statements in fishing effort returns contrary to section 230 of the Fisheries Act 1996.

Both defendants were also convicted of either making false or misleading statements in, or material omissions from, landing returns.

Antons Trawling Company Limited was also convicted of the associated offences of making false or misleading statements in their Monthly Harvest Returns in relation to a total of 31 tonnes of Alfonsino and Bluenose.

These convictions arose from two trips during 2010 when Mr Hasson fished a seamount known as the Rumble IV, which is approximately 100 nautical miles north of Cape Runaway and is predominantly inside the Central Fisheries Management Area. The 31 tonnes of fish had been falsely reported as having been taken from the Auckland Fisheries Management Area, when the fish had been taken from the Central Fisheries Management Area.

In addition to these convictions, both parties were sentenced on four charges relating to fishing in a marine conservation area closed to bottom trawling activity.

Fishers entering the Benthic Protection Area (an area closed in 2007 to protect marine biological life susceptible to damage by bottom trawling activities) are required to seek authorisation before conducting any trawling and carry at least two MPI observers.

On 18 January 2010 Mr Hasson entered this area - known as the Tectonic Reach - with a 45 metre stern trawler Seamount Explorer, but failed to advise MPI or carry any observers. Over two days he conducted seven bottom trawls inside the restricted area.

The defendants were sentenced on the basis that they had not deliberately bottom trawled in a protected area or falsified the returns, but they had failed to take reasonable steps to avoid the offending.

Antons Trawling Company Limited was today fined $56,525.00 for their offending, other than a single charge of failing to notify Fisheries Communication Centre before entering the Benthic Protected Area, for which they were convicted and discharged. In addition, the company will have to pay approximately $130,000 in deemed values for the fish that was incorrectly reported in the Auckland Fisheries Management Area. The company’s vessel was forfeit to the Crown with a redemption fee of $50,000 payable to have the vessel returned. Mr Hasson was fined a total of $9,100.00 on all charges.

MPI Investigations Manager, Steve Ham, says that this type of behaviour undermines the Quota Management System (QMS), which relies on accurate and consistent reporting of the areas where fish are caught.

“The information provided by commercial fishermen on their fishing returns is important for managing commercial fisheries and making sure they are sustainable. It also can provide anyone misreporting, regardless of whether or not the offending is deliberate, with an advantage over other fishers who may be reporting correctly” says Mr Ham.

“While the bottom trawling in the Benthic Protection Area by Mr Hasson in this case was not deliberate, the environmental value of these areas has been recognised and protected. It is important that the companies sending skippers to sea give them adequate training and resources so that mistakes such as this do not happen.

Mr Ham encourages fishing industry operators and non-commercial fishers to report any suspected illegal activity through the Ministry’s 0800 4 Poacher number (0800 4 76224).

“All calls are treated in confidence, and the information we receive helps stamp out any illegal fishing and helps ensure we have a sustainable fishery for future generations.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Two Dead, One Injured: Suspect Charged After Ashburton Shooting

Russell John Tully has appeared in Christchurch District Court. Tully has been remanded in custody on charges of murder of Peg Noble and Leigh Cleveland and attempted murder of Lindy Curtis.

The victim’s families and the victim have requested that their privacy be respected and will not be making a statement at this time.

Police have formed a picture of what has occurred yesterday and are appealing for further information and sightings .... More

 

Parliament Today:

John Key Press Conference: Ashburton Shootings, Judith Collins Inquiry

Prime Minister John Key has delayed the release of Nationals’ fiscal policy in light of this morning’s shooting at a Work and Income office in Ashburton... Key also answered questions about Judith Collins, and confirmed that independent inquiry will be held with regard to allegations made against Collins. More>>

ALSO:

Internet MANA: Georgina Beyer Rocks The Waka

“There is now, and always will be, a range of views about many issues within our movement and members are free to express them, but Georgina’s views on Kim Dotcom are not shared by the MANA Movement leadership or the vast majority of MANA members and supporters around the country” states MANA Candidate for Waiariki, Annette Sykes. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS Update: Inquiry Into Release Of NZSIS Information

The Inquiry would be conducted in private and individuals would appear before her separately over a period of more than a week. She does not intend to name those summoned to give evidence until her report is published. “I can confirm that all persons summoned will be required to appear under oath...” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On John Key’s ‘Blame It On Judith’ Strategy

Right now, Prime Minister John Key seems intent on limiting the scope of any inquiry into his government’s dealings with Cameron Slater. The declared aim is to make that inquiry solely about Judith Collins’ behavior with respect to the Serious Fraud Office. More>>

ALSO:

Maori Council Lawyers' Statement: Supreme Court Decision On Maori Water Rights

“…the Supreme Court refused to give Pouakani people what they asked for, but may have given them something much, much better instead… the Supreme Court has questioned whether the Crown owns the River at all.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Debate, And The Collins Accusation

Debating is a peculiar discipline in that what you say is less important than how you’re saying it. Looking poised, being articulate and staying on topic generally wins the day – and on that score, Labour leader David Cunliffe won what turned out to be a bruising encounter with Prime Minister John Key last night on TVNZ. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Winston Peters' Latest Bout Of Immigrant Bashing

It is only one poll, but rather than cannibalising each other's vote, Colin Craig and Winston Peters do seem to be managing to find the room to co-exist... Few are questioning how Peters got to this happy place, and what it says about the mood of the electorate. More>>

ALSO:

More Immigration News: First People Trafficking Charges

The first people trafficking charges in New Zealand have been brought by Immigration New Zealand (INZ)... The defendants have been charged under the Crimes Act 1961 for arranging by deception the entry of 18 Indian nationals into New Zealand. More>>

Collins 'Misinterprets Media Reports': "Too Compromised To Remain Justice Minister"

Bizarre claims by Judith Collins this morning that she had been cleared of inappropriate behaviour by the Privacy Commissioner demonstrates she is too compromised to remain Justice Minister, Labour MP Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news