Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Convicted Paedophile's Privacy Protected

..:: For immediate release ::..

Convicted Paedophile's Privacy Protected


21/02/2014

The Sensible Sentencing Trust are encouraged by the comments of the new privacy commissioner who has admitted the “disturbing” trend for people to use privacy breaches for their own gains.

“This is encouraging, however the Privacy Commission is currently helping to protect a convicted paedophile and his name suppression claims,” Garth McVicar SST Spokesperson says. “SST exposed this paedophile, and now the Director of Human Rights Proceedings, from the advice of the Privacy Commission has initiated court proceedings against SST for a breach of privacy.”

Many are furious over this waste of taxpayers money to protect the rights of a convicted child-sex offender.

“It’s simply a ridiculous situation that a convicted child-sex offender, who does not have name suppression, can attempt to hide behind privacy claims.”

Privacy Commissioner, John Edwards, voiced his concerns over privacy breaches in regards to information sharing a talk before a select committee hearing in Parliament yesterday.

“I would personally like to know how John Edwards feels about protecting the privacy of a convicted child-sex offender, and if this is in the best interests of his victims, the community, or is it purely for the convicted man’s ‘own gain’?” McVicar says.

Currently this child-sex-offender is pursuing the SST, through the Director of Human Rights Proceedings. He is claiming that SST published his name in relation to his offending while he had name suppression.

“There is no court evidence of name suppression nor do his victims, who are now adults want it.”

His victims are horrified, as too SST, that with taxpayers money he is attempting to protect his identity and was previously also seeking monetary compensation.

“This case has highlighted the desperate need for change in New Zealand as we fight a conspiracy of silence,” McVicar says. “Hopefully the new Commissioner will see though all of this madness and put an end to legless privacy claims that are more hurtful than helpful.”


END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news