Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Class Action Against Southern Response Announced

Class Action Against Southern Response Announced

Christchurch earthquake damage claimants tired of unnecessary delays has announced plans to take a class action against their insurer, Southern Response.

This today on the back of another group confirming they are taking a class action against EQC.

A spokesman for the Southern Response claimants group, Graham Bloomfield, says the group has engaged the services of lawyer Grant Cameron and will seek a declaration regarding unacceptable delays in the settlement of their claims for damage from the Canterbury Earthquakes.

“A class action involving many Southern Response claimants is appropriate given the very large number of people being denied their insurance policy rights.”

“We believe the delays people have faced, and are still facing, are reasonable and unacceptable. It is now over three and a half years since the first earthquake. There are still people living in severely damaged houses and other people whose houses have been demolished who have no time frame from Southern Response for repair or rebuild. People are being told to effectively put their lives on hold for six years.

We simply do not accept that that is fair and reasonable but Southern Response continues to delay.”

The group believes that it is time that the Government undertook a public and independent review of the delays that Southern Response is causing and the flow-on that is undermining the rebuild of Christchurch.

The group will also seek substantial damages from Southern Response for each member of the class action.

“The additional costs people have incurred must be recouped,” says Bloomfield. “We will seek damages for the immense stress and health issues this insurer has caused for hundreds of their clients. There must be consequences for this kind of behaviour.”

The group was formed as a result of the protests late last year which were organised by Southern No Response.

All Southern Response claimants interested in being a part of the class action will meet at 7pm on Thursday 13th March at the Westpac Business Hub, 55 Jack Hinton Drive, Addington.

The meeting is strictly for Southern Response Claimants only and they will need to register on www.eventbrite.co.nz and search for “SR Class Action”.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news