Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Reports on fatal pursuits in Auckland and Whanganui

MEDIA STATEMENT

Thursday 27 March 2014

Authority releases reports on fatal pursuits in Auckland and Whanganui

The Independent Police Conduct Authority today released two separate reports on Police pursuits which ended in the death of five young people in Auckland and Whanganui last year.

Independent Police Conduct Authority Chair, Judge Sir David Carruthers, said in both cases the Authority found that Police complied with the law and Police policy.

“Both incidents were caused by the actions of the drivers and subsequently ended in tragedy,” Sir David said.

The Auckland incident resulted in the death of 19-year-old Dominic Stehlin and his three passengers following a Police pursuit in Mangere on 11 May 2013.

Mr Stehlin, an unlicensed driver who had been forbidden to drive by Police in February 2013 and had been issued with a traffic offence notice in March 2013 for failing to comply with a prohibition order, was signalled by Police to stop after speeding along Great South Road in Papatoetoe and travelling through a red light.

Mr Stehlin continued to flee Police and on State Highway 20 he momentarily lost control of his car, striking the left-hand barrier before regaining control and continuing along the State Highway at speeds of 160km-per-hour. At this point Police decided to abandon the pursuit in accordance with Police policy.

Following the pursuit abandonment Mr Stehlin continued driving along State Highway 20 at speeds well in excess of the speed limit. Just after midnight, two other Police officers were travelling ahead of Mr Stehlin in a marked patrol car and saw him approaching. He overtook their patrol car at an off-ramp and sped along Massey Road. The two officers immediately followed Mr Stehlin signalling him to stop. About 30 seconds later the officers abandoned the pursuit when Mr Stehlin showed no sign of stopping.

Just before Mr Stehlin reached Prangley Avenue, about 500 metres from where the pursuit was abandoned, he entered a right-hand bend and lost control of his car. The car’s left wheel hit the kerb causing the car to travel sideways onto the opposite side of the road where it hit an unoccupied, parked Toyota Hilux.

Mr Stehlin and one of his passengers, Uesetini Akulu To’o To’o, were killed instantly while the other two passengers, George Lomia and Viane Gaga died later in hospital.

“This was a tragic accident caused by the actions of Mr Stehlin, who was driving dangerously and in excess of the blood alcohol limit for a person of his age. These actions resulted in the loss of life of four young people,” Sir David said.

The Authority found that Police complied with the law and Police policy in commencing the pursuits and with regards to communication, manner of driving, on-going risk assessment and abandonment of the pursuits.

The Whanganui incident resulted in the death of Ayla Nelson-Boyd following a Police pursuit in November 2013.

Around 4:30pm on 16 November 2013 Ms Nelson-Boyd, a learner driver, failed a Police alcohol test at a checkpoint on Cross Street, Whanganui. On failing the test Police took Ms Nelson-Boyd’s car keys and forbade her from driving over the following 12 hours. She was then picked up from the checkpoint by her grandfather.

Later that evening Ms Nelson-Boyd obtained a spare set of keys to her car and drove six friends to a party in Bulls. After driving back to Whanganui from the party, two Police officers saw Ms Nelson-Boyd’s car coming towards them and thought the vehicle looked overloaded in the back due to the angle of its headlights. The officers activated their patrol car’s warning lights to signal the driver to stop but rather than doing so, Ms Nelson-Boyd accelerated away from Police. The officers continued to pursue Ms Nelson-Boyd and her six passengers along the Whanganui streets covering a distance of approximately 3.7km. When the officers turned into Swiss Avenue they saw that the car had collided with a tree.

The officers immediately notified the Police dispatcher of the collision and requested an ambulance to attend the scene. The officers then provided assistance to the occupants of the car.

“This was a pursuit which lasted just over two minutes in a residential, well-lit area of Whanganui. Police complied with the law and Police policy in commencing the pursuit and regularly assessed the level of risk throughout the pursuit,” Sir David said.

“While in these instances the Authority has not found any breaches of Police policy, the Authority is continuing its discussions with Police about a review of policies connected with the pursuit of fleeing drivers,” Sir David said.

A copy of the Authority’s summary reports are attached.

27_March_2014_IPCA_Summary_Report__Fatal_Pursuit_of_Ayla_NelsonBoyd.pdf
27_March_2014__IPCA_Summary_Report__Deaths_of_four_men_following_Police_pursuit_in_Mangere.pdf

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Pharmac, Gough Whitlam And Sleater-Kinney

Ridiculous reported comments on RNZ this morning by Trade Minister Tim Groser, as he sought to dampen down concerns about the leaked draft of the IP chapter of ther Trans Pacific Partnership negotiations. According to Groser, ‘extreme’ positions are common at the outset of negotiations, and these get whittled down over the course of negotiations. Fine.

Except that we’re not at the outset of these negotiations. The outset was six years ago, and negotiators were hoping to have some sort of ‘framework’ deal finished in time for the APEC meeting in a few weeks’ time. These ‘extreme’ positions are what we’ve reached near the intended end of the negotiations.

Still, Groser did promise that the cost of medicines would not rise as a result of the TPP trade deal. Great. But this is not what politicians in other countries are saying. More>>

.

 
 

Parliament Today:

Aussie Investigation Dropped: Call On Minister McCully To Pursue The Case Of Balibo Five

West Papua Action is deeply concerned at the lack of any clear outcome from the Australian Federal Police inquiry into the 1975 deaths of the ‘Balibo Five’ including NZ journalist Gary Cunningham. More>>

ALSO:

'Feed The Kids' Bill: Metiria Turei To Lead Fight On Feeding Hungry Children

Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei is urging all political parties to support the Feed the Kids Bill which she inherited today from Mana leader Hone Harawira. More>>

Parliament Today: State Opening Of Parliament

The House sat at 10.30am on Tuesday before MPs were summoned to hear the Speech from the Throne in the Legislative Council Chamber. More>>

ALSO:

Tertiary Education: Students Doing It Tough As Fees Rise Again

The Government is making it increasingly difficult for Kiwis to gain tertiary education as fees continue to rise and access to student support becomes even more restricted, Labour’s Tertiary Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins says. More>>

ALSO:

Housing, Iraq: PM Press Conference – 20 October 2014

Prime Minister John Key met with press today to discuss:
• Housing prices and redevelopment in Auckland
• Discussions with Tony Abbott on the governmental response to ISIS, and New Zealand’s election to the UN Security Council More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Review Team Named, Leadership Campaign Starts

Labour’s New Zealand Council has appointed Bryan Gould as Convenor of its post-General Election Review. He will be joined on the Review Team by Hon Margaret Wilson, Stacey Morrison and Brian Corban.

ALSO:

Roy Morgan Poll: National Slips, Labour Hits Lows

The first New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll since the NZ Election shows National 43.5% (down 3.54% since the September 20 Election). This isn’t unusual, National support has dropped after each of John Key’s Election victories... However, support for the main opposition Labour Party has crashed to 22.5% (down 2.63% and the lowest support for Labour since the 1914 NZ Election as United Labour). More>>

ALSO:

In On First Round: New Zealand Wins Security Council Seat

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed New Zealand securing a place on the United Nations Security Council for the 2015-16 term. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news