Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Wellington Rape Crisis launches appeal week

31st March 2014

Wellington Rape Crisis launches appeal week

Today Wellington Rape Crisis launches its annual appeal week that will see the service taking part in seven days of awareness raising and fundraising, culminating in their annual street appeal on Friday the 4th of April.

Wellington Rape Crisis supports survivors of sexual violence and their families and relies heavily on community donations to make their service viable.

Wellington Rape Crisis Agency Manager Eleanor Butterworth says, “The way the Wellington community gets behind us is inspiring, but it is a sad fact that sexual violence services are still only receiving approximately 30-40% of their funding from government. It is literally the goodwill of our community that keeps our doors open.”

“People collecting for us and people donating should know this money is not just a bonus for us, it is what pays for our core services!”

Butterworth says their annual appeal is also about visibility of support services.

“Research released in British Medical Journal the Lancet earlier this year placed New Zealand third highest of 56 countries for sexual assault on women over 15 by an intimate partner. And while statistics have their limitations, study after study shows that sexual violence is something many, many people experience in their lifetime. We also know that receiving the right support can make all the difference to survivors.”

“Being proud and visible on appeal day goes beyond collecting money, it also a reminder to survivors and those who love and support them that there are services out there who can help the healing journey.”

Annual Appeal Coordinator Tabby Besley notes that the importance of the appeal to Wellingtonians is evidenced in the numbers coming forward to support the street collection each year.

“The number of volunteers and businesses supporting our annual appeal continues to grow each year; showing that the issue of sexual violence is one that remains prevalent for many in our local community. We want to extend a heartfelt thanks to all volunteering, sponsoring and donating – we would not be able to run the appeal or sustain our services without your support.”

Besley says, “Please support Wellington Rape Crisis this year by donating to the street collectors on Friday 4th April or running your own fundraiser or collection at your workplace – every little bit counts!”

For more information about how to donate, check out www.wellingtonrapecrisis.org.nz

An estimated 1 in 4 women and 1 in 20 men in New Zealand will be victims of a sexual assault at some point in their lives.

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/34693.html

The demand for our specialist services are increasing. Wellington Rape Crisis Social Work client contacts increased from 543 in 2010-2011 to 1480 in 2012-2013 while counselling sessions have increased from 236 to 369 in the same period.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Russel Norman Resignation

While not the decisive factor, last year’s election result must have made it easier for Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman to finally call it a day. After three years of solid campaigning on social justice, economic and environmental issues – and amidst another round of self-destruction by Labour, its ally and rival on the centre-left – the Greens had realistically expected to end up close to 15 % on election day. Instead, it barely held its own, and failed to increase its vote.

This would have been an especially bitter result for Norman. For the past six years, Norman has been the de facto leader of the Opposition – especially after Labour lost the plot with a series of inept leaders and a chronic identity crisis about what, if anything, it now stood for. More>>

 

Education: As Predicted, Charter Schools In Trouble

QPEC: When the government changed the Education Act to allow for charter schools, it bet that a bunch of non-educators using their own untested theories of education could run schools for our most disadvantaged students and achieve better results than state schools. More>>

ALSO:

Quick By-Election Expected: Mike Sabin Announces Resignation As Northland MP

Northland MP, Mike Sabin, today announced he has resigned from Parliament, effective immediately. Mr Sabin said he had decided to resign due to personal issues that were best dealt with outside Parliament. Mr Sabin will not be making any further comment. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Eleanor Catton Rumpus

If anyone was in doubt about the accuracy of the comments made in India by Eleanor Catton, the reaction from some quarters here at home has gone a long way to proving her point… More>>

ALSO:

More Rent Assistance, Less State-Owned Housing: John Key Speech - Next Steps In Social Housing

"We are going to ensure that more people get into social housing over the next three years, whether that is run by Housing New Zealand or a community provider. The social housing budget provides for around 62,000 income-related rent subsidies a year. We are committed to increasing that to around 65,000 subsidies by 2017/18, which will cost an extra $40 million a year." More>>

ALSO:

The Future Of Work: Andrew Little - State Of The Nation 2015

In 2005 when I led the EPMU we worked together with Air New Zealand to find a way to keep engineering jobs that were heading overseas. A lot of these workers were people I’d known for years and they were facing not just losing their jobs but not being able to find the kind of work they do without going overseas. A lot of people were facing personal and financial upheaval.... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news