Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


New home for White Ribbon

New home for White Ribbon

From today the Families Commission is transferring responsibility for the delivery and management of the annual White Ribbon Campaign to the White Ribbon Campaign Trust Board.

Families Commissioner Belinda Milnes says the Commission is delighted that the Trust is taking the campaign on its next steps. She says, “The White Ribbon Campaign Trust Board is a community based organisation with the skills, experience and commitment to ensure the continued success and growth of this important campaign to reduce violence against women.

“Family violence is a complex issue and it needs government along with communities, workplaces, and families working together to make a real difference.”

The transfer is being made through a conditional grant for a two-year period.

“We are very grateful for the support of the Families Commission,” says White Ribbon Trust Chair Ric Odom. ‘Their good management has helped the campaign to work effectively with communities right throughout New Zealand helping us to raise awareness and get men to take action.

“Last year’s campaign was the largest yet with significant community involvement, so the time is now right for the campaign to take charge of its own destiny,” says Mr Odom.

Today is also the anniversary of the death of Emily Longley, who was murdered by her boyfriend three years ago.

Mark Longley, White Ribbon trustee and father of Emily explains, “As a parent that has lost a child, you are always trying to make sense of the tragedy. I donate my time to White Ribbon in the hope that no other family ever has to go through what we have endured.

“White Ribbon is about men taking responsibility. As men, we can change the behaviour of our mates. If just one of her boyfriend’s mates had not remained silent, my daughter Emily could be alive today.

“I want White Ribbon to lead a change in our culture. A change where events such as the Roast Busters Scandal could not take place and where 14 women are not killed each year,” says Mr Longley.

A White Ribbon Advisory Committee, currently chaired by Judge Peter Boshier will continue in its role, which includes appointment of White Ribbon Ambassadors and the organisation of activities. Judge Boshier will continue to lead this Committee.

The Trust has been formed from experts and advocates within the family violence sector.

Chair: Ric Odom (WR Ambassador) CEO of the RSPCA

Deputy Chair: Takurua Tawera (WR Ambassador) chair of NNSVS

Heather Henare CE Women’s Refuge

Mark Longley (WR Ambassador)

David White (WR Ambassador)

Alana Bowman (WR Committee Member)

Patron Judge Boshier (WR Ambassador and WR Committee Chair)

For more information on the White Ribbon Campaign visit the www.whiteribbon.org.nz

ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Waitangi Tribunal: Report On The MV Rena

In its interim report, the Waitangi Tribunal has found that the Crown’s conduct in response to the grounding of the MV Rena on Otaiti (Astrolabe) reef breached the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza: Wellington Protest For Palestine Calls For End To Bombing

Around 300 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in Wellington on Friday to protest Israel’s occupation of Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Failure To Prosecute The GCSB

So one hand of the state – the Independent Police Conduct Authority – has now washed the hands of its brother agencies, and declared that all hands are clean. Case closed. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news