Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search


Budget 2014 missed opportunity for transport in Auckland

May 15 2014

Budget 2014 missed opportunity for transport in Auckland with delay of City Rail Link

Youth organisation Generation Zero believe that the government have taken a backwards step by announcing over $800 million on new motorway projects in Auckland without funding the City Rail Link.

The 2014 Budget announced a $375 million interest-free loan to accelerate a set of Auckland motorway projects worth an estimated total of $815 million.

Spokesperson for Generation Zero, Dr Sudhvir Singh explains “The City Rail Link has been identified by the people of Auckland as the top priority for transport in Auckland, yet the government has missed another opportunity to fund this essential piece of infrastructure in favour of largely unnecessary roading projects.”

Auckland Council aims to complete the City Rail Link by 2021, as without it the City Centre Future Access Study shows that traffic in Auckland would grind to a halt. $800 million equates to almost half of the government contribution to the $2 billion project.

Dr Singh; “The City Rail Link will unlock the entire transport system, allowing five minute frequencies on existing rail lines, opening three new stations, and providing the capacity to extend the rail network to the airport and the North Shore.”

The City Rail Link would be the first step of a region-wide Congestion Free Network which would provide Auckland with a world class transport system at half the cost of the current Integrated Transport Programme.

Singh; “the solution to Auckland’s traffic problems is to free up our roading network by offering people choices. The City Rail Link would offer Aucklanders a reliable public transport option. Instead the government has committed Auckland to more expensive motorways, which will only encourage more traffic, more carbon pollution and more urban sprawl.”

About Generation Zero:
Generation Zero is an organisation of young New Zealanders working to cut carbon pollution through smarter transport, liveable cities and independence from fossil fuels.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The PM’s Indonesian Guest, And West Papua

As David Lange once said, it is almost impossible to get New Zealand to think about Indonesia, the huge nation sitting right on our doorstep.

The visit to this country early next week by Indonesian president Joko Widodo won’t change that situation, even though Widido will be the first major foreign head of state to be hosted by the Ardern government. More>>


Out By 24,000: Treasury Child Poverty Estimate Wrong

The Treasury has revised the child-poverty projections it provided to the Government in December 2017. As outlined in the Treasury’s 17 January media release, the previous estimate was based on code that included a modelling error...More>>


Mentions Russia: NZ Joins Condemnation Of Nerve Agent Attack

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters says the New Zealand Government has grave concerns over the use of a chemical nerve agent in the United Kingdom resulting in critically serious injuries to some of those exposed. More>>


IPCA (And Privacy Commission): Police's “Exit International” Checkpoint Was Illegal

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that Police were not justified in stopping vehicles at a vehicle checkpoint to identify individuals who had attended an “Exit International” meeting in Lower Hutt on 2 October 2016. More>>


NZDF Coverup: Defence Admits Raid Was In Area Described In Hit And Run

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming the SAS had been in a different place on that date... The Defence Force has finally admitted that the “three photographs in the book are of Tirgiran Village”. More>>


"It Could Work" - Team NZ: New America's Cup Base Option

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff has welcomed Emirates Team New Zealand’s acknowledgement that a new fourth base option is workable and would see Auckland host the America’s Cup in 2021. More>>





Featured InfoPages