Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Children in early childhood education lose out in Budget

Children in early childhood education lose out in Budget


Friday 16th May
Press Release: ChildForum


There is little to cheer the early childhood education sector in this year’s Budget, despite an apparent increase in funding, early childhood national network ChildForum says.

The Budget announced a $155.7million funding increase for the early childhood sector over four years, split into two parts – one for increasing subsidy rates (which was expected as successive Budgets have adjusted ECE subsidy rates to reflect rising costs) and the other for dealing with costs created by a push to increase child participation in early childcare and education.

However, ChildForum chief executive Dr Sarah Farquhar said the increases still left the sector in a worse position than a few years ago.

“Despite the increase announced in the Budget, subsidy rates will still be lower than they were before rate cuts in 2011,” she said.

“This means many early childhood services will still struggle to fund what they know to be important to provide for children. In fact, many services, especially part-day and community-based services are struggling simply to stay afloat and this small increase is unlikely to significantly improve their position.”

Dr Farquhar said that once again the government’s focus appeared to be on increasing the number of children participating in ECE and the number of hours which children attend a service, rather than on supporting parents, teachers and ECE providers to provide the standards of care and education needed.

“The Government is pushing its targets for participation in ECE, but it appears to be doing little to ensure that those extra children will be enrolled in high quality services, and that parents have a suitable range of good choices for their children,” Dr Farquhar said.

“The sector wants to improve quality, but in order to do so it needs support and that is not forthcoming. This Budget announcement focuses more on the costs associated with increased demand rather than other issues.”

Next week ChildForum will release on its website www.childforum.com the results of its latest survey canvassing the state of the early childhood sector, which show the Government is still out of step with the sector in terms of what it views as the most important issues.

An outline of Budget 2014 announcements and implications for the early childhood sector is available at: http://www.childforum.com/news-early-childhood-education-latest/1194-budget-2014-spending-increases-and-new-initiatives-for-the-early-childhood-education-ece-sector.html

ENDS ..

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news