Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Students March for a Community Without Sexual violence

‘Let Me Go Home’ – Students March for a Community Without Sexual Violence

Trigger Warning: This content deals with sexual assualt and may be triggering to some people

Today over 300 students from Victoria University of Wellington and other community members will march from Kelburn campus to Aro Valley in response to recent attacks on pathways around the campus.

The event is being organized by the Victoria University of Wellington Students' Association (VUWSA), VUWSA Women’s Group and the Victoria branch of Youth for UN Women.

“’Let Me Go Home’ cuts right to the heart of the issue – it is not good enough that we live in a society where the fear of sexual assault limits the ability of people to walk home without fear. This aims to be a positive event that will turn frustration into community action,” says President of the Victoria University of Wellington Students' Association, Sonya Clark.

“The event will highlight how attitudes and behaviours about sexual violence need to change - the key message is that rape and sexual violence are not tolerated in our community. As students, we want to see a societal change where rape and sexual violence are not just ‘the way things are.”

“Currently there is a narrative around assaults that implies that a women shouldn’t have been walking alone at night. Telling poor students to catch a taxi home is simply not good enough. As a community we need to be addressing the core of these issues.”

President of the VUWSA Women’s Group, Chrissy Brown, says that “as students and Wellington residents, we want to show that we are a community that does not accept sexual assault as a given and that we will foster a community that rejects rape culture.”

Spokesperson for Youth for UN Women, Heather Walker said: “This forum is a great start, and we hope the momentum continues from today. There are still many gains to be made in both raising awareness about these issues and taking positive steps to creating a community where everyone feels safe at all times.

Although led by students, the organisers hope that the wider community gets involved. “Changing culture requires a whole community approach,” says Clark.

There will be a forum after the march, where people can collaborate in small groups to come up with proactive steps towards rejecting rape culture. Wellington City Councillors, MPs, Police, and University staff will be invited to respond at the end.

Clark reinforces her earlier calls “that while the physical environment does not cause rape, infrastructural improvements are a crucial part of making people feel safer in their communities.”

“The response so far shows that this is an issue that students are concerned about and more action is needed.”

March departs at 5pm, today, Tuesday 20th May, from outside the Hub, Kelburn Campus and heads to Aro Valley Community Centre, with speeches and discussion from 5.30pm. The facebook event is https://www.facebook.com/events/713033215420414/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&source=1

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news