Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Inquiry Finds Prison Riot Well Managed

Inquiry Finds Prison Riot Well Managed

The official inquiry into last year’s prisoner riot at Spring Hill Corrections Facility found Corrections’ response was extremely well managed.

The inquiry looked into the circumstances and causes of the riot, which took place on Saturday 1 June 2013.

“We’ve learned from this event and taken recommendations on board to reduce the possibility of another similar disturbance,” said Corrections Chief Executive Ray Smith.

The inquiry found that ultimate responsibility for the violence, damage and destruction lay with the prisoners directly involved. The riot was triggered by prisoners consuming ‘home brew’ made from fermented fruit, and fighting between prisoners which led to staff being assaulted. Several other factors contributed, including the ability of prisoners to stockpile fruit and access alcohol-based hand sanitisers, as well as aspects of the design of the unit and how high security prisoners were being managed.

“I’m proud the inquiry recognised that individual staff members showed courage and commitment under very difficult conditions. Our Advanced Control and Restraint teams ended the riot safely and in extremely difficult circumstances. Staff have been recognised and commended for their actions and bravery.”

The inquiry recommended a number of improvements to the way prisons are managed, and almost all have been fully implemented. These include limiting the amount of fruit available to prisoners, reviewing the management of high security prisoners and removing alcohol-based hand sanitisers. Action is well underway for the remaining few recommendations.

The final cost to the Department for rebuilding the unit which was destroyed in the riot, with security and safety enhancements, is approximately $10 million.

A summary of the inquiry has been released (attached), but the whole report will not be released to protect the security of New Zealand prisons and because prisoners are still facing Court processes.

Twenty-three prisoners were charged with serious offences by the Police. Of those, eight pleaded guilty, and one was discharged. Four of the eight who pleaded guilty have been sentenced, with sentence lengths ranging up to five years and eight months imprisonment. For the remaining 14 prisoners, the court process continues.

The inquiry into the riot was led by a panel which included international representation. The panel consulted with the Ombudsman’s office over the report.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

17 Year Sentences In Baby Moko Case: Attorney General On Plea Bargain

“The Crown’s decisions in this case, including the decision to accept the manslaughter pleas, were motivated by the need to secure convictions for this horrendous killing and to avoid the significant risk that either of the defendants could escape such a conviction because of evidential issues.” More>>

ALSO:

No Rail For New Harbour Crossing: National Giving Up On Rail In Auckland

The National Government’s decision to scrap two planned rail lines in Auckland shows it is giving up on a city-wide rail network in Auckland, and on thousands of commuters who sit in traffic jams every single day, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news