Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Ship’s master fined after failure to report grounding

Ship’s master fined after failure to report grounding


The master of the 177m Singapore-flagged cargo vessel Lake Triview has been fined $2000 (plus $130 court costs) after pleading guilty to a charge of failing to notify Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) that the vessel had grounded off New Plymouth after dragging its anchor on Saturday, 24 May, 2014.

MNZ laid the charge under s31 of the Maritime Transport Act which requires incidents to be reported to MNZ as soon as practicable. MNZ was not notified of the grounding until 28 May.

Rolando Valmeo Legaspi, 63, of the Philippines was sentenced in New Plymouth District Court today.

MNZ Director Keith Manch said the sentence should send a strong message to those responsible for vessels operating around New Zealand.

“It is essential that Maritime New Zealand is notified of incidents as soon as possible to ensure measures are taken immediately to protect human life and the environment,” he said.
“This incident posed a potential threat to the 21 crew, and could have had a serious impact on the environment, and yet no effort was made for some days to notify MNZ. That is simply unacceptable and cannot be tolerated.”

Just after 11am on 24 May, the Lake Triview, carrying a cargo of soya bean meal, anchored approximately 2.1 nautical miles (3.9km) off the Port of New Plymouth. At around 5.30pm the anchor began to drag and the vessel moved slowly towards the shore.

When this movement was noticed, at around 8pm, the Master ordered the anchor to be raised but mechanical failure prevented this happening. The Port of New Plymouth was asked to put two tugs on standby but these were not deployed and at around 9.38pm the vessel ran aground on a rocky reef in approximately 7 metres of water. While anchor was successfully retrieved, the vessel remained grounded for around five minutes until freed using its own engines.

MNZ was subsequently advised by the harbourmaster that the anchor had dragged and on May 26 sought details of the incident – but received no notification of the grounding.

Details of the grounding were not received by MNZ until late in the evening of 28 May.

After the vessel had berthed on 27 May, an inspection by divers identified approximately 12 breaches to the ballast tanks as a result of the grounding. No spill of oil was detected.
The vessel remains detained in New Plymouth pending arrangements for repair of the damage.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Politics
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news