Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Make sexual violence in war a crime

Press statement for immediate release

11 June, 2014.

Make sexual violence in war a crime

New Zealanders are being asked to join a global movement aimed at ending sexual violence in conflict zones.

“Genocide is a war crime. Torture is a war crime. We want to make clear sexual violence is also a war crime,” said the British High Commissioner to New Zealand Mrs Vicki Treadell.

Representatives from more than 100 governments, the Heads of eight UN agencies and nearly a thousand experts are currently meeting in London to launch the first ever International Protocol on how to document and investigate sexual violence in conflict.

New Zealand is represented by Justice Minister Judith Collins.

The Summit initiative is spear-headed by UK Foreign Secretary William Hague and Special Envoy for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Angelina Jolie.

A global-wide peoples’ movement in support of the Summit is now underway via social media channels.

“We are looking for support from individuals and groups to help end sexual violence in areas of conflict. Rape has been used as a weapon of war repeatedly in our lifetimes on every continent and in every major conflict. It has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with power and the desire to conquer and humiliate.

“New Zealanders can show their support for the Summit by using the hashtag #TimeToAct and @end_svc in their social media communications. Numbers will count!”

Mrs Treadell said a number of prominent New Zealanders had already shown their support for the Summit’s aims via social media channels and Twitter exchanges with her (@VickiTreadell).

Wellingtonians were also being asked to join a flash-mob event at Te Papa at 1pm on Thursday (12 June ).

“The event will last for one hour and you are all invited. This is a chance for individuals to show their support.”

The event will be filmed and shown during the Summit in London. “We will also be asking people to madly send messages via social media channels during the one hour period.

“We will be part of a global relay across 140 countries that started last night in Indonesia. A social media wave is also rolling across the globe with thousands voicing their support. It is our turn at 1pm tomorrow.”

Mrs Treadell said the event at Te Papa would run rain or shine. “If it’s wet, we will move indoors but the event will go on, so come and join us and make a stand.”

• An Op-ed page piece by William Hague and Angelina Jolie is attached and contains worthwhile background material.

• First-person accounts of the impact of sexual violence can be found on Twitter @end_sve or searches under #TimeToAct.

• Further material is on https://storify.com/foreignoffice/live-blog-end-sexual-violence-in-conflict-summit and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Ld9P BfNw&feature=youtu.be

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

TV3 Videos: Key's Flip-Flop Over Whale Oil Texts | Slater
Reaction: Greens
Dim-Post Link: The Very Odd Slightly Left Of Centre

Gordon Campbell: On Government Arrogance

Right now, National is ramming anti-terrorism measures through Parliament. This legislation will grant the SIS the power to carry out 48 hour bouts of surveillance on anyone without a warrant, and will bestow on government the power to unilaterally revoke anyone’s passports and thus deny them the freedom to travel.

Ludicrously, the public has been given exactly one day to make submissions on these major infringements of their civil liberties. Despite Finlayson’s misleading signals on RNZ that these are only stopgaps until next year’s full review of our security laws, the measures in question will not, in fact, expire until 2018.

Why the insane rush? Good question. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news