Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Online voting trial ‘too limited’

Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Online voting trial ‘too limited’

The Government’s Online Voting Working Party recommendation to trial e-voting in the 2016 local body elections will disappoint those hoping online voting will be fully in place that year, says Massey University local government specialist Associate Professor Christine Cheyne.

Dr Cheyne welcomes the report’s release this week for highlighting the importance of online voting but is disappointed and surprised it is limited to a trial only.

The working party was set up following concerns about the low turnout in last year’s local body elections.

“The lack of progress following the 2010 Parliamentary select committee recommendation to consider a trial of online voting in 2013 was very disappointing and there have been mounting calls for access to e-voting,” Dr Cheyne says.

“New Zealand has a high uptake of digital technologies so there is likely to be strong interest in e-voting,” says Dr Cheyne, from the School of People, Environment and Planning. “Key sector organisations, such as the Society of Local Government Managers, have argued that electronic voting may be a catalyst to re-engage younger voters.

“The working party similarly recognises that easy-to-use online voting in conjunction with other initiatives could educate and engage New Zealanders, make local elections more accessible and help boost voter turnout in the medium or long-term. I agree.”

She says the report released this week highlights the importance of online voting in local elections, and recognises it as “feasible and desirable.”

“Unfortunately, the online voting working party’s recommendation to proceed only with a trial in 2016 is very disappointing and surprising given the evidence of successful implementation elsewhere, including in Australia.” She says online voting could be trialled prior to 2016 in a mock election or actual by-election.

She also questioned whether giving communities and councils flexibility to decide to have online voting would be beneficial.

“E-voting should be an option available to everyone. If some people prefer not to use that method of voting, that is fine. It is their choice. If a council or a community decide that some should not have that choice, we are likely to see further disengagement.”

She wondered why New Zealand was slow to embrace online voting when it has been successfully implemented in local and parliamentary elections in many countries for well over a decade.

“Much greater priority needs to be given to ensuring online voting is a choice alongside other voting methods.
.
“It’s important that our electoral systems innovate and keep up with the pace of technological change in our wider society – especially for those groups that are heavy users of technology.

“Many people who are less likely to vote are certainly deterred by traditional voting methods, especially postal voting. Online voting on its own won’t be sufficient to mobilise those who are under-represented in voting, but it is necessary to modernise elections if we want to increase participation in our democratic processes.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Tomorrow’s Speeches By John Key And
Andrew Little

The Key government has already kicked off the political year on a stridently ideological note, with Environment Minister Nick Smith choosing to lay all manner of sins at the door of the Resource Management Act.

Tomorrow, the government will wheeling out its best salesman – Prime Minister John Key – to sell its plans for state housing, which happens to be another of the government’s most contentious, most ideologically-driven policy packages. Presumably, Key will be trying not to double down on the rhetoric, and thereby leave room for Labour leader Andrew Little to sound like the centrist voice of reason.

Key will have his work cut out, though. More>>

 

Transport: Auckland Looks To Light Rail

The Board of Auckland Transport has called for an investigation into a light rail network, which could relieve traffic congestion on some of the region’s busiest roads. This stems from work in 2012 (the City Centre Future Access study) which responded to a government request to develop a robust and achievable solution for access to the CBD. More>>

ALSO:

RMA: Smith's Claims Don't Match Evidence - Greens

The Motu group’s research into the impacts of planning rules looked at the costs related to housing development but not the benefits of environmental protections and does not recommend significant changes to the RMA to reduce the cost of new house builds. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Similarities Between John Key And David Cameron

For years now, David Cameron has been the closest available thing to a mentor/analogue to our Prime Minister, such that Key watchers could be interested in an analysis of Cameron that appeared in the British press over the Christmas break. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Ian Fletcher Resignation & GCSB’s New Role

It may well be that after being shoulder-tapped in Queensland for the GCSB job, three years of living in Wellington has been enough for Fletcher and his family, given that the pending review of the GCSB would have required an even longer commitment from him. Three years of Wellington’s weather is enough for anyone... More>>

ALSO:

Ian Apperley: $10m Or $100m For New Wellington Council IT System?

I feel a Tui Billboard coming on. I commented the other day that it looked like the Council’s Ninth big project was a potential $100 million plus... The Mayor has responded: “I am reassured by the Chief Executive and by Anthony Wilson that the proposed budget is in the region of $10 million.” More>>

ALSO:

Southern Ocean:
Navy Intercepts Illegal Fishing Vessels

Foreign Minister Murray McCully today put illegal fishing vessels operating in the Southern Ocean on notice and vowed to take action against their owners. “As part of a multi-agency operation, the HMNZS WELLINGTON has intercepted two vessels claiming to be flagged to Equatorial Guinea, fishing illegally in the Southern Ocean.” Mr McCully says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news