Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Canterbury student to launch young voters’ app next week

Canterbury student to launch young voters’ app next week for the elections

August 17, 2014


A University of Canterbury commerce and law student, who produced a website to help young voters in next month's elections, will next week launch a mobile app, Candidate, to provide more information for new voters.

Earlier this year, Canterbury student Hannah Duder received $10,000 from the Handley Foundation as part of the Shoulder Tap national recruitment campaign. Duder did was not offered a job but was granted the $10,000 after pitching her idea during the process.

Duder used the money to develop the Candidate app and worked with the Shoulder Tap community and businessman Derek Handley to set up the Virgin Voter Collective after realising only a third of young people were expected to vote in this year's general election.

``The Candidate app will be launched on August 20. The University's Innovators and entre organisations initially sparked my interest in entrepreneurship, innovation and app creation,'' Duder says.

``Innovators manager Dr Rachel Wright gave me the inspiration and belief to run with my ideas which gave me the confidence to apply for the Handley shoulder tap recruitment campaign.

``I have been in touch with all major parties to help develop my Candidate app. They have provided policy topics following a survey I put out to young people to see which topics were important to them. I have had responses from ACT, NZ First, Mana/Internet, National, Labour, Green the Maori parties. These parties will be represented in Candidate which will be launched at events in Auckland and Christchurch next week. We are looking for sponsorship as everything else is volunteer work.

``Candidate is a web-based app so it can be used on any cellphone, computer or tablet with an internet browser. Our aim is to get at least another 18,000 young people to vote otherwise the views of old people will be the ones that will win this election and that would really suck.

``Our Virgin Voter team has gathered some surprising data which shows youth voter decline is a much bigger issue than most people think. A lot of young people feel that politics and voting is quite boring and not relevant to their lives.

``We will be concentrating our efforts in electorates where there is critically low number of enrolled voters, with Auckland Central, Dunedin North and Wellington Central topping the list. Three Christchurch red zone affected electorates are also on the list.

``A lot of people are out there trying to get people my age get excited about voting in this year's election and we recognise that if we pool all the brains, numbers and activities then we can have a bigger impact.''

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Inquiry Into One Case Of Dirty Politics

Suddenly, we’re awash in inquiries and reviews. (It feels almost as if the Greens won the last election.) Caught out by the damning inquiry by SIS Inspector-General Cheryl Gwyn, the government’s response yesterday was utterly in character – it released two other major reports at the same time to try and distract public attention...

Inquiries are supposed to re-assure the public. What these inquiry outcomes share in common is a government culture of zero responsibility. More>>

IGIS: Statement On Early Report Release

As the Inspector-General stated at the release of the report yesterday morning, she is examining what steps to take over the early disclosure of information from the report... Ms Gwyn said that she was aware of Mr Goff's subsequent statements that he had disclosed some information concerning findings in the report. She will be seeking further information from Mr Goff and others. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS ON SIS:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news