Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Sarjeant Gallery redevelopment resource consent approved

25 August 2014

Media Release

Annette Main
Mayor
Wanganui District Council

Sarjeant Gallery redevelopment resource consent gets go ahead

Mayor Annette Main has welcomed the granting of resource consent for the Sarjeant Gallery Te Whare o Rehua Whanganui redevelopment project.

“This is exciting news for the Sarjeant, our district, our region and our community,” Mayor Main said.

“It is another significant step in getting under way a redevelopment project that will help us preserve and enhance this important civic amenity while protecting the nationally-significant collections that have been entrusted to us over the past 100 years.”

A one-day resource consent hearing, by independent Commissioner Christine Foster, was on held on July 21.

“It was plain, from the submissions and from the statements of submitters to the hearing, that the proposed redevelopment of the Sarjeant Gallery enjoys widespread community support,” Mrs Foster said in her report on the hearing.

“It is unusual to encounter such strong endorsement of substantive changes to such a valued building. I acknowledge the positive endorsement of the proposal by submitters and iwi. It is, in my view, a credit to the many years of preparation by the Council.”

The conditions attached to the resource consent require Wanganui District Council to have a conservation plan to ensure work on the 1919 building in Queens Park meets national and international standards. The Council will also need to plant trees to replace those that will have to be removed to make way for the gallery extension, and maintain the current gallery doors as a possible method of entry.

“We are very pleased with the conditions the Commissioner has set,” Mayor Main said.

“Some of the conditions have come about as a direct result of the valuable input given by members of the community through the submission process. It’s great that we’ve been able to respond positively to issues and concerns raised by the community through the discussions that have taken place and the conditions of the resource consent are a result of that process.”

Sarjeant Gallery Senior Curator Greg Anderson is delighted that the resource consent has been granted.

“On behalf of the Sarjeant Gallery Trust and gallery staff, I’d like to thank everyone who supported the Sarjeant by taking part in the resource consent submission process.

“The granting of the consent is another positive milestone in a gallery redevelopment project that’s going to be great for our district, region and community on cultural, social and economic levels. And there’ll be many more exciting milestones to come as this project unfolds, so watch this space.”

To learn more about the redevelopment project you can pick up the ‘Help Support Our Sarjeant’ brochure from Sarjeant on the Quay, 38 Taupo Quay, visit www.sarjeant.org.nz and go to ‘redevelopment’ or contact the Redevelopment Project Administrator Vivien Lindsay on (06) 349 3138, or at vivien.lindsay@sarjeant.org.nz.

The Commissioner’s report, including the conditions attached to the Resource Consent, and the Council’s Landscape Mitigation Concept Plan, which shows the plans for replacement trees and landscape planting, is on the ‘Have your Say’ page of www.wanganui.govt.nz.

The Sarjeant Gallery redevelopment project has the support of the Council and construction will commence once the required funds have been raised. The Ministry for Arts, Culture and Heritage required resource consent to be obtained before it would release Government funding towards the redevelopment project.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Greek Riddles:
Gordon Campbell On The Recent Smackdown Over Greece

There had been a fortnight of fevered buildup. Yet here we are in the aftermath of the February 28 showdown between the new Syriza government in Greece and the European Union “troika” and… no-one seems entirely sure what happened. Did the asteroid miss Earth?

It seems to have. The EU still exists. Syriza is now claiming a victory of sorts. It doesn’t help that the only people who do appear to be sure (the Greeks buckled) are claiming the exact opposite to what the other group (the Greeks won!) are saying. Plus, there are bets either way e.g. Bloomberg News: “Its too early to say who caved in to whom.” More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Joint Statement: Australia-New Zealand Leaders’ Meeting

Prime Minister Key warmly welcomed Prime Minister Abbott and Mrs Abbott to New Zealand. The visit has enabled wide-ranging and substantive discussion that has underlined the strength, value, diversity and warmth of our trans-Tasman relationship. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: Peters To Stand In Northland By-Election

New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters has announced his intention to stand in the Northland by-election, citing his own links to the electorate and ongoing neglect of the region by central government. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Wage Hike For MPs (and Paul Robeson)

Hard to tell what is more infuriating. Is it the 5.3% increase on the already bloated salaries of MPs, or their pantomime of outrage at being gifted with such a wonderful back-dated bonanza? More>>

ALSO:

No Designers Or Visual Artists: Flag Panel Members Announced

The Government has appointed 12 New Zealanders as members of the Flag Consideration Panel which will engage with the public about a possible new New Zealand flag, Deputy Prime Minister Bill English says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour MP Stands Down From Portfolio: Comment From Carmel Sepuloni

The first I knew of my mother’s charges was when I was called by a reporter yesterday. I spoke to Andrew and we agreed there is a conflict of interest at the present time which means I will temporarily stand aside from the Social Development portfolio. It’s the right thing to do… . More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Whether NZ Troops Are The Least Of Islamic State’s Problems

Given that it has been politically packaged and sold as a training mission, the Iraq deployment announced yesterday by Prime Minister John Key seemed to be mysteriously short of actual trainers... The other wing of the argument is whether a troop deployment is (a) the only effective way and (b) the appropriate time to combat Islamic State. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news