Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Further criminal investigation into CTV Building collapse

Police further criminal investigation into CTV Building collapse

Tuesday, 2 September 2014 - 1:28pm

National News

(Japanese and Chinese translations of this statement available via links at bottom of this media release)

Police has today confirmed it will be advancing the criminal investigation into the collapse of the CTV building in February 2011.

Detective Superintendent Peter Read said Police has advised the families of those who died in the building collapse of the decision. This had followed assessment and evaluation of a huge amount of information from a range of sources over the last 18 months.

"Based on this information, we now believe there is sufficient evidence to warrant further criminal investigation into the collapse of the CTV building in February 2011," Mr Read said.

"As part of our inquiries, Police has engaged the services of engineering consultants Beca to provide an expert opinion regarding the cause of the CTV building collapse. They were also asked to provide expert opinion on whether there were any serious departures from accepted standards by those involved in the building's design or construction that could amount to gross negligence.

"While Police are still awaiting some aspects of Beca's assessment, the bulk of this work has now been completed. Based on the work completed to date, Police have reached the view that there is sufficient information to warrant further criminal investigation."

"That said, there is still a significant amount of work to be done before any investigation can be completed, the potential outcome of which is unknown."

Mr Read said a group of investigators had been put together to gather more information and where necessary re-interview some of those who have previously given evidence at the Canterbury Earth Quake Royal Commission, as well as any others who could assist with the investigation.

"The additional material gathered during this phase of the investigation will assist Police in determining whether there is anyone who may be criminally culpable for the CTV building collapse."

"While it is still too early at this stage to put any timeframe around when that decision will be made, we will continue to keep all parties informed as we work through the process."

ENDS

Japanese and Chinese translations of this media statement are available on the police website www.police.govt.nz

CTV statement in Japanese - http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/ctv-japanese-sstatement-sep-2014.pdf

CTV statement in Chinese - http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/ctv-chinese-statement-sept-2014.pdf


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news