Kiwi Values: is the political landscape shifting?
Kiwi Values: is the political landscape shifting? 5th May - AKL
When a rich body of data becomes accessible it is not just the academics who become interested. There is food for thought here for everyone. We now have a good deal of recent survey data and analysis on ‘Kiwi values’. It gives us the basis to explore a whole range of questions:
• What are the values Kiwis purport to hold?
• What do those values suggest Kiwis want in their world?
• Are there different ‘pools’ in the values such that there is a diversity of preferences?
• Is it possible to call any range of value
positions different identities or views of the
And to the progressive and curious these lead to further questions:
• Can these values impact voting patterns?
• So what are the demographic features of the values and the voters likely to look like?
• Are values changing over time; as we age, per region, by ethnicity, gender, migrant status?
• Are new values/identities emerging?
• Are some values/identities declining?
• What are the chances a Trump or a Bernie constituency could be found in New Zealand?
• Is there a
link somehow between personal values and house price
We can have a go at this. Fabians Auckland is pleased to have Professor Charles Crothers to take us through a discussion on these queries. He has the data and the background as a sociologist and commentator to explore the material and open up the content for debate. We are pleased to have a session that will take us here.
As always, it would be helpful if you register for this Auckland event here.
Owen G Glenn Building,
University of Auckland
Recently Added -
Guy Standing on the Coming Precariat Revolt
Publications - Most of the presentations we have held are on the web site in one form or another - speeches, slides and/or recordings. Check out the 'Publications' section on our website and like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get regular updates.