Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Justice for state abuse survivors: 6 July 2017

Justice for state abuse survivors: 6 July 2017

New Zealanders who were abused as children and vulnerable adults while in state care are calling on other survivors and supporters to join them at parliament on Thursday 6 July as they present an open letter and petition to MPs for a public inquiry and apology.

“This is about justice for all New Zealanders. We need to know our Government cares about children and people with disabilities and will do everything in its power to investigate abuse and to put things right,” said Disability Rights Commissioner Paul Gibson.

“The current Government may not have been in power when the abuse took place but they can be the Government that makes sure it never happens again,” said Race Relations Commissioner Dame Susan Devoy.

“A lot of decision makers have never met a survivor of state abuse: this is an opportunity for them to do so. This is about justice and uplifting mana,” said Karen Johansen, Indigenous Rights Commissioner.

Between the 1950s and 1990s more than 100,000 vulnerable children and adults were taken from their families and placed in children’s homes and mental health institutions where many suffered sexual, physical and psychological abuse. The extent of abuse is unknown as the abuse has never been fully or publicly investigated. Their suffering took place in a range of institutions at locations across New Zealand over several decades. While some children were taken from families for little or no reason at all, Maori children were particularly targeted with some state homes reporting that upwards of 80 per cent of youngsters were Maori.

In February 2017 several prominent New Zealanders wrote an open letter calling for a wide ranging and public inquiry into state care abuse. A month later a member of the public launched an online petition. So far more than 15,000 people have either signed the open letter or the petition: both will be presented on the 6 July.

Hundreds of survivors' handwritten letters to decision makers along with photographs of themselves as children (where any exist) will be shared online by he Human Rights Commission and presented to parliament along with the open letter and petition.

Where: Parliament forecourt

When: Thursday 6th July

What time: 1pm-2pm

Who: Survivors of state abuse and supporters are invited to be there as an open letter and petition are presented to parliament

Please find out more at www.neveragain.co.nz #NeverAgain

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Back Again: Government Approves TPP11 Mandate

The Government has approved a negotiating mandate for Trans-Pacific Partnership 11 (TPP11), which will ensure New Zealand businesses remain competitive in overseas markets.

Trade Minister Todd McClay says New Zealand will be pushing for the minimal number of changes possible to the original TPP agreement, something that the remaining TPP11 countries have agreed on. More>>

ALSO:

.

 
 

Gordon Campbell: On Why Labour Isn’t Responsible For Barnaby Joyce

As a desperate Turnbull government tries to treat the Barnaby Joyce affair as a Pauline Hanson fever dream – blame it on the foreigners! We’re the victims of the dastardly New Zealand Labour Party! – our own government has chosen to further that narrative, and make itself an accomplice. More>>

ALSO:

Rail: Greens Back Tauranga – Hamilton – Auckland Service

The Green Party today announced that it will trial a passenger rail service between Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga starting in 2019, when it is in government. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Voluntary Rental Warrant Of Fitness For Wellington

Wellington City Council is partnering with the University of Otago, Wellington, to launch a voluntary Rental Warrant of Fitness for minimum housing standards in Wellington, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

Treaty: Agreement In Principle Signed With Moriori

“The Crown acknowledges Moriori was left virtually landless from 1870, hindering its cultural, social and economic development. The Crown also acknowledges its contribution to the myths that the people of Moriori were racially inferior and became extinct." More>>

ALSO:

Susan Devoy: Call For Inquiry Into State Abuse Reaches UN

Race Relations Commissioner Dame Susan Devoy is in Geneva and has asked a United Nations committee to urge the New Zealand government to initiate an inquiry into the physical and sexual abuse of children and disabled people held in state institutions. More>>

ALSO:

(Not National): Cross-Party Agreement On Pike River Re-Entry

The commitment was signed this afternoon by the leaders of Labour, United Future, The Maori Party, and the Green Party and, together with the earlier commitment by New Zealand First, means that there is now a Parliamentary majority behind the families’ fight for truth and justice. More>>

ALSO:

Earlier:

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election