Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Taxpayers' share of Auckland transport spending to skyrocket

Taxpayers' share of Auckland transport spending set to skyrocket

11 JULY 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Taxpayers’ Union is shocked at the gall of Auckland Council relying more and more on taxpayers across the rest of the country to prop up Auckland Council’s shortfall in transport infrastructure. Reacting to the Ministerial briefing papers released earlier today by the sister group of the Taxpayers’ Union - the Auckland Ratepayers’ Alliance – the Union’s spokesperson Jordan Williams said:

“In 2000, the Government contributed 42% of Auckland's transport expenditure, while the Council contributed the remaining 58%. However, in 2016 the Government's share had increased to 56%. The most shocking years are still yet to come. In 2018, the Government is projected to cover 77% of Auckland's transport spend.”

“Never let it be said again that Auckland is not getting its fair share of taxes. These documents suggest that while every other region’s council contributes its fair share to local transport costs, Auckland Council is freeriding, ratcheting the pressure on Wellington, and relying on politicians bailing it out.”

“No wonder Auckland Council waste’s so much money. The documents show that the Government keeps feeding the monster, and is stepping in to fund Auckland Council’s transport while City Hall takes all the credit.”

“Auckland voted for Phil Goff to fix the City’s transport infrastructure, but these documents show he’s cutting spending in the area by 46% this financial year. Who do you believe, Auckland Council’s 150 spin doctors, or the boffins at the Ministry of Transport?”

The ministerial papers are available at www.ratepayers.org.nz/transport_spending

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Environment Commission: Time For Historic Step For Climate Change

Dr Wright has recommended a new Act that is similar to the UK Climate Change Act...

A similar law in New Zealand would put emissions targets into law, and require the setting of carbon budgets that would act as stepping stones towards the targets. It would also establish a high-powered independent expert group that would crunch the numbers and provide objective advice. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Act, The Centre-Right’s Perennial Ugly Duckling

Act endures, despite its thoroughly fossilized views: it is the only lighthouse still shining the beams of 1980s market fundamentalism out into the electoral darkness. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Changes To Temporary Work Visas Confirmed

“The consultation process resulted in around 170 submissions and today’s announcement shows the Government has listened to the feedback raised by employers and industry, particularly in the regions,” Mr Woodhouse says. More>>

ALSO:

Rental WOF Passes 2nd Reading: Little Bill Goes A Long Way

The strong call from the public for warm, dry, healthy rentals has helped the Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill to pass its second reading, says Leader of the Opposition Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Incomes & Housing Costs: No Signs Of Real Improvement For Poorest Families

CPAG: The latest Household Incomes Survey report shows that not everyone is better off, despite that income poverty seems to have lessened since the Global Financial Crisis in 2008. More>>

ALSO:

Turei To Be Interviewed By MSD: Gordon Campbell On The Real Truth Deficit In Welfare

It has been astonishing to see the amount of time and energy being spent on what Greens co-leader Metiria Turei did or didn’t do properly as a beneficiary back in the early 1990s – as compared to how little time and energy is being put into the point of her personal example. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election