Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Australian Ministers warned against travel to NZ

Media Release: Australian Ministers warned against travel to NZ

From: Auckland Peace Action

Date: 6 Monday 2017

“A day after Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull again rejected New Zealand’s offer to resettle some refugees held in prison gulags on Manus Island, he has been warned not to visit New Zealand as he may face arrest on charges of crimes against humanity,” said Auckland Peace Action member Hamish Noonan.

“Members of Auckland Peace Action have today delivered a warning to both Malcolm Turnbull and to Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton that their failure to save the lives of 700 innocent people will result in arrest warrants being sought should they try to come to New Zealand. The group delivered the warning to the Australian Consulate at lunchtime.”

“The matter is already before the International Criminal Court (ICC), and of course New Zealand is a signatory to the Rome Statute so we have jurisdiction to take action against perpetrators of crimes against humanity and war crimes.”

“Earlier this year, the Global Legal Action Network (Glan) and the Stanford International Human Rights Clinic put a mass of evidence before the ICC of the abuses inside the camps. The closure of the camp at Manus, and the plan by the Australian government to leave the 700 people on the island actually compounds the culpability of the Prime Minister and Minister of Immigration in horrific crimes.”

“The people who sought refuge in Australia have been left for dead on Manus. We say its well past time that the New Zealand government takes action to rescue these people and bring them here.”

https://www.facebook.com/akpeaceaction/videos/1931080810486432

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels