Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search


Taxpayers lassoed by rodeo cowboys say protesters

Taxpayers lassoed by rodeo cowboys say protesters

Whangarei locals turned out in force today to oppose rodeo outside the Mid Northern Rodeo.

Joining them were people from the upper North Island, Auckland and Waikato who gathered outside the rodeo gates holding placards saying “STOP RODEO” and a large banner.

“Recent information revealed that over the last 5 years it’s cost taxpayers over $1.3 million in ACC claims for people who had injuries sustained during rodeo events,” says Direct Animal Action spokesperson Apollo Taito.

“Since only 25% of New Zealanders oppose a ban on rodeo, it's shocking that the other 75% are lassoed into footing the bill for rodeo cruelty,”

“Recent footage released showing young calves being violently roped and handled is yet more proof that rodeo has got to go,”

“We’re pleased the Greens have a Private Members Bill that will get rid of the worst aspects of rodeo like calf roping. But we’re calling on the Government to take stronger action by banning rodeo full stop,” says Mr. Taito

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Remembrance: Anzac After Christchurch

A community group is creating The Sound of Peace, a crowdsourced soundscape that captures messages of peace from New Zealanders in their own voices and languages...

The Anzac Eve event, The Art of Remembrance with Kristin Darragh, is a concert and memorial service in the grounds of the historic St David’s Memorial Church in Uptown Auckland.

‘As we remember the lives lost in World War One, we remember the horrors of all wars, and the potential to reach out across the divides now to expand understanding and a sense of our shared humanity.’ More>>


NZ And France To Seek To End Use Of Social Media For Terrorism

New Zealand and France announced today that the two nations will bring together countries and tech companies in an attempt to bring to an end the ability to use social media to organise and promote terrorism and violent extremism, in the wake of the March 15 terrorist attacks in Christchurch New Zealand. More>>


Christchurch Attacks: Families Offered Option To Stay Permanently

Immigration New Zealand has created a special visa category for those directly impacted by the shootings at Al Noor Mosque and Linwood mosque, as well as their families. More>>


Auckland: Consent Granted For Queens Wharf Cruise Ship Upgrade

In its decision, released this afternoon, Auckland Council says that although the upgrade will have a "range of adverse effects on the environment, both during construction and operation", these can be managed to an "acceptable" level. More>>


Welfare: Access To Hardship Grants Hits Record High

Figures from the Ministry of Social Development for the March 2019 Quarter showed that hardship assistance grants increased by $48 million in the past year... They also showed the emergency housing grants went from $6.6m to $23m, and there were 70,000 extra requests for assistance for food. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Scrapping The Capital Gains Tax

As PM Jacinda Arden said yesterday, there was no point in Labour bringing a proposal into the House that it didn’t have the votes to get passed. Looking back, maybe she always felt this outcome to be inevitable... More>>





InfoPages News Channels