Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Processes to be strengthened

Processes to be strengthened

The Provincial Development Unit (PDU) administering the Provincial Growth Fund (PGF) is strengthening its systems and processes for assessing and approving requests for funding following an internal review, Provincial Development Unit head Nigel Bickle said today.

“The Provincial Development Unit accepts the findings of an internal review that due diligence on personnel associated with the Waste to Energy project should have been undertaken prior to approval of PGF funding for the project and a ministerial announcement,” Mr Bickle says.

The Waste to Energy project was approved for funding but that funding was put on hold as soon as issues arose. The internal review report released by the PDU today outlines the background to the issues and the process followed up until the Minister’s announcement.

“We also accept the recommendations made in the review. We fell below prudent standards of due diligence and we have apologised to the Minister for not getting this right,” Mr Bickle says.

“The public quite rightly expects government agencies to run a robust process before awarding contracts or approving funding. In this case we made a mistake by not completing appropriate checks on personnel associated with the Waste to Energy project.

“We agree there would have been enough time to complete these checks prior to any funding being approved and the subsequent ministerial announcement. The fact that these issues would most likely have been picked up in the contract negotiations process, post announcement and before any PGF funding was actually handed over, is no excuse.

“While this is not a defence, the team was in an establishment phase and we were quickly transitioning from an organisation set up to approve and manage around $11M/pa in development funding to one responsible for administering $1Bn/pa. All projects that have had funding announced to date will continue to undergo due diligence processes in accordance with the standards that have been put in place.”
The following changes to our processes and systems have been made:

• Due diligence on personnel is now carried out before applications are considered by Ministers and other decisions makers for funding and announcements.
• If due diligence cannot be completed within the available time, then the Minister’s Office will be informed of this risk, and where practicable, an announcement delayed until the process has been completed.
• The introduction of a robust application process that is proportional to the types of applications.
• Applicants will also need to declare that they have not been convicted or are under investigation for any offences bearing on the operation of the business.
• We are also asking the Office of the Auditor General to provide feedback and suggestions on any further improvements we could make.
The report is at http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/sectors-industries/regions-cities/regional-economic-development/documents
[ends]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels