Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

DHBs across the country prepare for industrial action

Hello,

District Health Boards have begun implementing contingency plans following notice to strike by the New Zealand Nurses Organisation.

NZNO Nursing, midwifery, and healthcare assistant colleagues covered by the NZNO MECA have issued notice for a full withdrawal of labour for 24 hours from 07:00am on 5 July. Notice for a second strike 24 hour strike from 07:00am on 12 July is expected next week.

DHB spokesperson Helen Mason says DHBs will do everything they can to settle the agreement and avoid the strikes.

“We’re in mediation with the NZNO on Friday and in the interim, DHBs will start implementing contingency plans to ensure the safety of patients and staff.

“DHBs are working closely with the NZNO to ensure emergency and essential services will be available.
Our aim is to keep everyone safe during the strike – patients and staff alike – and that means significant changes to normal services. Each DHB will be in touch with their affected patients to provide more information on this.”

Ms Mason says people should not delay seeking medical treatment or going to hospital if the matter is urgent. They should dial 111 for emergencies or an ambulance. They can visit their GP or a local pharmacy, or call Healthline on 0800 611 116.

“Nurses, midwives and health care assistants are a highly respected and valued part of the modern team-based approach to health services. We are extremely concerned about the threat of industrial action and working hard to find a solution.

“Our last offer was increased significantly to over half a billion dollars for more staff and improved working conditions. It would also see the base pay rates of most experienced registered full time nurses go from $66,755 now to $77,368 by December 2019.

“DHBs can look at how the offer may be reconfigured within current available funding.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Bridges’ ‘Meth Crooks’ Leadership Failure

Back in June, Bridges publicly accepted that Housing NZ had got it wrong, and that the National government had acted upon bad advice.

Now, you’d think this admission would create a broad bi-partisan basis for compensation to those families who had been unfairly evicted, at considerable cost and emotional distress. Some people had lost their possessions in trying to meet the expense of the upheaval.

Not everyone felt so compassionate. More>>

 

Multimedia & Transcript: Acting PM's Press Conference

Winston Peters, Acting Prime Minister while Jacinda Ardern is in New York for the UN Leaders' Week, held a short press conference Monday after chairing this week's cabinet meeting. More>>

General Assembly: Ardern Rejects Trump Call For War On Drugs

New Zealand will not be signing the United States' document calling for global action on the war on drugs, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says. Ms Ardern is in New York for the United Nations General Assembly this week, along with about 140 other world leaders. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Cabinet Funds Deal For Oranga Tamariki Social Workers

The Minister said that an agreement in principle has been reached between Oranga Tamariki and the PSA on a settlement worth $114.6m over five years. More>>

ALSO:

Hunting v Pest Control: Tahr Control Needed To Protect Alpine Habitats

A cull of introduced Himalayan tahr browsing conservation land in Kā Tiritiri o Te Moana/ the Southern Alps is needed to protect special alpine plants and their habitats, Conservation Minister, Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

Protest At Sea: Judge Discharges Greenpeace Activists

The judge today discharged Norman and Howell without conviction, saying the cumulative consequences of a conviction would be out of proportion to what was “low level” offending off the Wairarapa coast in April 2017. More>>

ALSO:

No Reshuffle: Meka Whaitiri Removed As A Minister

Meka Whaitiri will be removed as a Minister with immediate effect... The decision was made after receiving a report into an incident that occurred on 27 August in Gisborne, involving Meka Whaitiri and one of her staff. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels