Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Safe Staffing Accord – to give top-level assurance

Safe Staffing Accord – to give top-level assurance

Welcoming the ‘Safe Staffing and Care Capacity Demand Management: Effective Implementation Accord’ Chief Executive Memo Musa says he is confident it will, finally, at the top level of Government, address the unsafe staffing levels of the nursing and midwifery workforce which, have been experienced for over a decade in the public sector.

Parties to the Accord are New Zealand Nurses Organisation (NZNO), District Health Boards (DHBs) and the Director-General of Health.

For many years the top concern of the New Zealand nursing and midwifery workforce has remained the understaffing and, the resulting unsafe healthcare environment for staff and patients, as previously reported in the NZNO Employment Survey 2017.

“This accord takes hold of this distressing issue at the very top level and we commend the Government for this move,” Memo Musa said.

“The voices of nurses’ and midwives have been heard and their campaigns garnered commitment for urgent change. This Accord is supplementary to the current DHB MECA fifth offer presented to NZNO members.

“Nurses have also said that a reason they leave the profession is because their high standards have been compromised because of unsafe staffing and also because they are dissatisfied by not being able to take time to advance their own skills or to train others. The accord addresses this issue by encouraging many back into the workforce with the commitment to safe staffing.



“NZNO in particular welcomes the pragmatic approach to attracting and retaining more nurses and midwives and the commitment to exploring options for the provision of employment of all New Zealand nursing and midwifery graduates,” Memo Musa said.

Visit: www.beehive.govt.nz for the Minister of Health media release and the detail of the Accord.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Shooting Response: Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles

Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws announced today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

“An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

RNZ Report: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs
There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels