Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Quarry workers win fair pay deal!

Around 20 quarry workers and concrete truck drivers who began striking at the start of the month near the Brynderwyn Hills have today reached a settlement with Atlas Quarry that gives the group between $2 and $4 dollars more an hour.

Pay talks broke down on Tuesday 24th of July 2018 after 10 months of negotiations when Atlas Quarries Limited refused to move from their flat rate offer which was below market rate by $2-$3 dollars and below the Living Wage. Hours of work were also an issue, with some workers required to be available for up to 88 hours a week.

The new deal includes:

All members will receive a minimum of $22 per hour, overtime rates for weekend work, meal and attendance allowances on top of this, life insurance cover and agreed hours of work.

FIRST Union Transport, Logistics and Manufacturing Division Secretary Jared Abbott says the deal is what workers were asking for at the start of negotiations.

It’s an extra $80 to $300 a week depending on the hours worked, it’s a big win that these workers worked hard to get, our members are very happy and we thank Atlas for recognising their value.”

Lorne Tito has been part of the strike since the beginning.

We were planning for it to take longer, so we are very relieved, the financial pressure has eased for these guys.”

Mr Tito says worker moral is high.

We stuck together and were in it for the long haul, it just goes to show; if your company isn’t treating you fairly and doesn’t value you, band together and say so.”

He sends out a huge thank you to the local community, a community that showed overwhelming support during the strike.

They turned up with all sorts of supplies to keep us going, the support was humbling and we are very grateful for this also.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels