Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Tearfund Launches Indonesia Earthquake And Tsunami Appeal

Media Release 1/10/2018

TEARFUND LAUNCHES INDONESIA EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI APPEAL

Tearfund has launched an appeal to meet the desperate needs of the millions affected by the magnitude 7.5 earthquake and 5-and-a-half-metre tsunami which hit Sulawesi, Indonesia, on Friday evening.

Tearfund CEO Ian McInnes says Tearfund’s partner on the ground are ready to respond with life-saving aid to those most desperately in need.

“While the death toll stands at more than 800 now, we know from experience that the numbers will rise as teams reach areas which are currently inaccessible and sift through the rubble of destroyed buildings.

“Tearfund’s partner is reporting massive destruction and people are terrified that another earthquake or tsunami will hit. We’re particularly worried about the vulnerability of children who have lost their parents or caregivers.”

McInnes knows all too well the devastation that tsunamis can inflict. He was in Sri Lanka with his wife, a doctor, when the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami hit.

“From our apartment, we watched in horror as the waves hit. We knew at once we needed to help and joined an NGO that was responding, heading to remote communities which had been completely devastated”.

“Tsunami’s are devastating and I encourage Kiwis to support the response to this one”.

The needs here are the same as in 2004: medical assistance, water, food, shelter. Tearfund asks Kiwis to show the Indonesian people the kindness of New Zealanders by donating to Tearfund’s Indonesian Earthquake and Tsunami Appeal today.

New Zealanders can respond to the Indonesian Earthquake and Tsunami Appeal at Tearfund.org.nz or by calling 0800 800 777.

Ends




© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Terror in NZ: Mosques Attacked in Christchurch

• There have been two attacks at the Masjid Al Noor Mosque next to Hagley Park, and at the Linwood Masjid Mosque in the suburb of Linwood, Christchurch
• Police commissioner says 50 confirmed dead in Christchurch terrorist attacks. One man charged with murder appeared in court on Saturday, two more apprehended - working to understand their involvement
• PM Jacinda Ardern has described it as a "terrorist attack" by those holding extremist views. She says NZ's gun laws will change.
• The national security threat level has been increased from low to high.
• Commissioner Bush said there were explosive devices attached to one vehicle that were stopped by police and these have been made safe by Defence Force personnel.
More>>

For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch

Parliament's Condolences: PM's Statement On Christchurch Mosques Terror Attack
Al salam Alaikum. Peace be upon you. And peace be upon all of us.
Mr Speaker the 15th of March will now forever be a day etched in our collective memories... More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Why The Government Shouldn't Run The Christchurch Massacre Inquiry
At Cabinet yesterday, the promised changes to our gun laws cleared their first hurdle. According to PM Jacinda Ardern, Cabinet agreed collectively “in principle” on a set of proposals to change New Zealand’s gun laws... Yesterday, Ardern also announced an inquiry into the background to the mosque attacks and into the role played by the SIS, GCSB, Police, Customs, and Immigration. More>>

.

 
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels