Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Fireworks tricks are no treat for anyone

31 October 2008

Fireworks tricks are no treat for anyone

Fireworks go on sale this Sunday for four days until 5 November, Guy Fawkes. The fireworks safety campaign team this year asks people to keep up the good work, to take care and consider community.

Fireworks-related injuries and damage to property dropped last year by a third from 2006. The shorter sales period, combined with a rainy night and greater vigilance, are credited for the reduction. But NZ Police and the Fire Service say each year fireworks are dangerous when misused. Silliness with fireworks is a menace to people, pets and property:

Inspector Marc Paynter from Police National Headquarters says while last year was better, preventable harm still occurred.

"Safety should be at the forefront of people's minds when using fireworks. We urge anyone using fireworks to use common sense; keep children and animals out of harms way. If you see people being reckless with fireworks, trying to aim them at people or things, call 111 and report it.

"If you are old enough to buy fireworks, you are old enough to behave responsibly. Don't let your community down," Inspector Paynter said.

Fire Service, acting National Commander Bill Butzbach agrees, saying the Fire Service is pleased with last year's reduction in fireworks-related call-outs and wants to see another reduction this year. The Fire Service particularly asks everyone to work together to stop preventable fires:

"Keep your eyes open, think twice - don't fool with fireworks!"

"If you choose to light fireworks yourself rather than going to a public display, follow the safety instructions and use them in a controlled area and not out in public places where your friends, buildings and greenery can catch fire," Mr Butzbach said.

New rules introduced last season mean fireworks can only be sold from 2-5 November, the age at which people can buy them has been raised from 14 to 18 years, and sparklers must now be sold in packs with other fireworks, not separately.

The fireworks safety campaign includes a website with safety tips and a list of many of the public displays around the country - www.guyfawkessafety.govt.nz

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels