Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Capill Angry At "Inaccurate, Unprofessional" Poll

HERALD POLL UNSCIENTIFIC AND INACCURATE

The latest Herald Digi poll released yesterday has been described by Party Leader Graham Capill as ‘inaccurate, unprofessional and misleading’.

“It is time news agencies stopped manipulating the voters and told the truth. That the largest newspaper in the country can publish such misleading, unscientific, front page stories and show no willingness to rectify the misinformation is thoroughly reprehensible,” Mr Capill said.

In particular the Party is concerned that:

1) Despite up to 25% of respondents indicating they had not decided, the Herald’s graph failed to even mention this group. It chose to mislead readers into thinking that all 840 respondents had ‘voted’ for the Parties listed.

2) Of the 25% undecided, 7% were ‘pressed’ into choosing who they were most likely to vote for. Again, the graph made no mention of this fact and the pressure exerted raises serious questions about the objectivity of the poll.

3) When adding up the percentages given for each Party, a total of 95% is reached. What happened to the other 5%?

4) Upon enquiry, the Herald tells us that the Christian Heritage Party got 1.9%. Why was this not reported? If NZ First can get a mention at 2.2%, 0.3% seems a very small margin to make this arbitrary decision.

5) The Greens have not yet left the Alliance. They are not even recognised as a stand alone party in Parliament. Why are they then given separate identity in this poll? Are voters aware of this and how does this impact on the Alliance Party figures?

Mr Capill said, “It is time editors were more responsible in how they present the facts taken from polls. Polls rarely just report objective facts, but often colour perception. If MMP is about encouraging a mix of views to be represented in Parliament, it is time newspapers included that same mix in their stories.

“The Herald has failed to accurately inform its readers and misled them on several serious fronts. Our plea is for a fair go!” Mr Capill said.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news