Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 

Royal Commission To Consult With Youth

Wellington - 17 January 2001: The Royal Commission on Genetic Modification today announced it will be consulting specifically with New Zealand youth.

A one-day forum will be held at Te Papa in Wellington on 5 March 2001 for this purpose.

"Any recommendations we make as a Commission on the future of genetic modification in this country will have a direct impact on the youth of today," says Chairman Sir Thomas Eichelbaum. "We are therefore consulting directly with young New Zealanders to ascertain their views on this important subject."

The Forum is open to young New Zealanders and registration forms are available from the Commission office or its website: www.gmcommission.govt.nz.

In addition, the Commission will pay for 20 youth, aged 16 to 18, to travel to Wellington to attend the forum. Selection will be based on responses to a short essay competition. Details about the competition can be obtained by contacting the Commission office or viewing its website.

All registration forms and competition entries must be received by 5pm on Monday, 12 February 2001.

The Youth Forum is one of five consultation methods used by the Commission as part of its enquiry process. The others are: public meetings, formal hearings of "interested persons", written submissions and hui.

"We look forward to hearing the articulate and informed views of young New Zealanders in March and welcome their input in this decision-making process."

ENDS

The Royal Commission on Genetic Modification was established by Order in Council on 8 May 2000 and is chaired by Sir Thomas Eichelbaum. The other members of the Commission are Dr Jacqueline Allan, Dr Jean Fleming and the Rt Rev Richard Randerson. The Commission is required to report by 1 June 2001.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>