Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 

Symantec Security Response W32.Blaster.Worm update


Symantec Security Response - W32.Blaster.Worm update

Hi there

Symantec Security Response reports the W32.Blaster.Worm denial-of-service attack that triggered on August 16 had no noticeable impact on systems since the target URL (windowsupdate.com) had been removed earlier by Microsoft, providing nowhere for the attack to go. The real site at windowsupdate.microsoft.com was operating correctly, so users could still download new program or security updates.

The latest data from the Symantec DeepSight Threat Management System records more than 572,458 Internet facing infections (unique IP addresses) since the worm first started to propagate on August 11. The worm is now spreading at about 15 percent of the rate it was at its highest peak. However, it will not disappear until more systems deploy the security patch and/or deploy firewall rules to block the relevant ports, in addition to having updated virus definitions.

Symantec Security Response expects to see this worm or variants of it continuing to spread in the wild for many months, but at much reduced rates.

Symantec Security Response has also seen a new worm, W32.Welchia.Worm. Initial analysis has determined that the worm looks for the existence of Msblast.exe, dropped by the W32.Blaster.Worm, and deletes it if present. The worm also attempts to download the DCOM RPC vulnerability patch from Microsoft's update site. If the update has been successful, the worm will reboot the computer so the update takes effect.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>

Elsewhere:

Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:

Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>