Research Science & Tech Journalist Scholarship
Scholarship for New Zealand Research Science & Technology Journalist
Background The Foundation for Research, Science and Technology and the British Council New Zealand are proud to offer a major scholarship for a New Zealand journalist to attend UK's biggest science festival later this year.
The British Association's (BA) Festival of Science attracts 400 of the best scientists and science communicators in the world. This year the festival runs from 6 - 10 September at the University of Exeter with the theme of 'The responsibility of Being a Scientist'.
About the scholarship The scholarship will enable a New Zealand journalist to attend the festival, as well as spending time with key UK science writers and commentators at either the BBC or the Guardian. The scholarship is worth $7,000.
The purpose of the Scholarship This scholarship has been established to encourage New Zealand journalists to write and/or broadcast more success stories about research, science and technology in New Zealand. It is hoped that this award will give them an international perspective of RS&T, help create linkages between New Zealand and overseas RS&T journalists and result in greater coverage of RS&T in the New Zealand media.
Criteria for applying for the scholarship: The scholarship is open to any journalist working in the media New Zealand - including freelance journalists.
Applicants are asked to state in their application:
* how they would personally benefit in terms of their career from winning such an award.
* what coverage they would be able to provide for New Zealand readers/listeners of the actual festival and other RS&T science issues in the UK.
* any particular issues that they might be interested in covering while in the UK
* what benefits they believe receiving this scholarship would have to improving science communication and the understanding of science generally.
* what coverage they currently provide of RS&T in New Zealand and what they or their organisation have planned for the future.
* an outline of their career and where they see their future.
* present examples of their work.
An application cover sheet http://www.frst.govt.nz/about/AppFormJournalist-04.doc should be attached to all applications
Applications close at 5pm on 4 June and should be sent to
More details see
Research, Science & Technology