Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 

BOP Quake Swarm TAiling Off, Scientists Say

19 July 2004

BOP Quake Swarm TAiling Off, Scientists Say

Scientists monitoring the swarm of earthquakes in the Bay of Plenty say they appear to be tailing off.

More than 100 shallow earthquakes have occurred northeast of Rotorua since the swarm started on Sunday afternoon. The largest, a magnitude 5.4 quake centred 20km northwest of Kawerau, was felt widely in the Bay of Plenty. At least another five jolts were big enough to have been felt throughout Bay of Plenty.

People living closer to the centre of the swarm would probably have felt dozens of tremors.

" If the pattern follows historical trends, the earthquakes will become less frequent and smaller from now on," said seismologist Ken Gledhill of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Ltd (GNS).

"However as the swarm tails off, there's always a small possibility of a larger quake going against the general trend.

Swarms of small shallow earthquakes were reasonably common in the Bay of Plenty, Dr Gledhill said.

"However, this swarm is slightly unusual in that the magnitudes of the largest earthquakes are bigger than normal. We see this type of swarm perhaps once every decade in the Bay of Plenty."

The swarm is centred northwest of Kawerau and is related to longterm tectonic stretching of the region between Rotorua and East Cape. At this stage, there are no indications that the earthquakes are related to volcanic activity.

Scientists from GNS's Wairakei office are intending to deploy two portable seismic instruments near the centre of the swarm later today. And within the next few days, GNS scientists will document the landslips and other possible ground movements.

Data recorded by the battery-powered seismic instruments will give scientists a more accurate fix on the depth and location of any further quakes in the swarm and a better idea of the relationship between the earthquakes and known active faults in the region.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>