Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 

Disaster-Striken Region Hosts Hazards Conference

Thursday 5 July

Disaster-Striken Region Hosts Hazards Conference

Just ten days after the state of emergency was lifted in Whakatane, the Bay of Plenty is to host a major conference on the management of natural hazards.

The conference will be held at Baycourt in Tauranga, Tuesday 10th – Wednesday 11th August.

“It could hardly have been more timely,” says Dr Warren Gray of the National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research (NIWA). “Delegates will hear about the practical implications of the latest science on flooding, coastal hazards, landslides, volcanoes, and earthquakes.”

Topics include the impact of climate change, tools for managing hazards, and an in-depth look at the impacts of the February floods. “No doubt people will be swapping observations about the Bay of Plenty flooding and earthquakes too,” says Dr David Johnston from the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS).

More than 140 delegates have registered so far. They include staff from emergency services, civil defence, local authorities, public health units, and infrastructure companies.

The conference is sponsored by GNS and NIWA, along with Environment Bay of Plenty, the Western Bay of Plenty District Council, Tauranga City, Wellington City Council, EQC, and the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>