Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 

South Island varroa response completed

11 August 2004

South Island varroa response completed

The South Island varroa investigation is over.

Final testing of sticky boards from the Canterbury region was completed on Tuesday with no further detections of the bee-killing mite.

Paul Bolger, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) Varroa Programme Coordinator said that all controlled area and restricted place notices put in place during the investigation have been removed and beekeepers can now resume normal beekeeping activities.

Mr Bolger said that it was possible that the original varroa finds at Oxford and Murchison were the result of contamination in the testing process.

“The possibility also remains that there may be a low-level population of varroa somewhere in the South Island which has not been detected by the extensive sampling over the past two months.

“However to continue the investigation would severely restrict the activities of beekeepers and those industries that rely on bees for pollination,” he said.

Mr Bolger asks that beekeepers remain vigilant to the possibility of varroa in their hives now that the active surveillance carried out during the investigation is completed.

MAF is extremely appreciative of the support received from beekeepers while the investigation has been underway.

The varroa investigation was initiated in June after a single varroa mite was found in samples taken from an Oxford apiary. The investigation was extended to include Murchison following the detection of a mite on the outside of a plastic bag containing sticky boards used in varroa surveillance from a Murchison property.

For more information on the South Island varroa investigation please go to: www.maf.govt.nz/varroa

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>