Sealegs Boat Goes Where No Boat Has Been Before
Click for big version
Caption: The all-terrain version of the Sealegs amphibious marine craft - able to tackle the toughest terrain.
Auckland, 4 April 2005: Sealegs International Limited today announced that it has developed a new all-terrain version of its amphibious marine craft.
The 5.6m Sealegs All Terrain Amphibious Craft (ATAC) has an extremely low ground pressure which is less than a human footprint.
This is achieved by having two special purpose-built 31 inch by 18 inch hydraulically powered wheels on the rear and three steerable tyres at the front. These enable the Sealegs ATAC to traverse estuary mud flats and soft shingle beaches that are beyond the reach of conventional boats and trailers.
Sealegs CEO Mr David McKee Wright says, “We are very excited about the new market possibilities the Sealegs ATAC opens up. People who have waterfront property with soft terrain between them and the water at low tide finally have a boat launching solution for the first time ever”.
Once driven into the water, the Sealegs ATAC hydraulically retracts its wheels to allow speeds of up to 60kpmh on the water. On land the Sealegs ATAC has a ground clearance of 425mm which allows it to climb inclines of over 25 degrees.
Meanwhile, Sealegs Corporation says that plans remain on track for an attempt on the world record for the fastest crossing of the English Channel by an amphibious vehicle later this year.
Sealegs ATAC Specifications
Length Overall 5.6m (18ft
Outside Beam 2.47m (8ft 1")
Draft 0.41m (16")
Weight 890kg (1960lbs) (with 90HP 2-stroke outboard)
Hull “V” 21 degrees
Payload 500kg (1100lbs) (6 adults) on land and sea
Top Speeds Sea 60kph (35mph), Land 10mph (6mph)
- Two rear marinised hydraulic
wheel motors with stainless steel hubs
- Land powered by 16HP 4 stroke v twin cylinder air-cooled Honda in-board engine (mounted under center console) electronic ignition, electric start
- Hydraulic steering controls front wheel on land and outboard
- 31" X 18" all terrain rear "balloon" tyres on aluminium 15” rims
- Three 21” X 12” steerable front wheels
- Marinised hydraulic cylinders raise and lower all wheels
- 4mm aluminum hull (5083 Marine Grade)
- 4 chamber ValmexTM inflatable tubes
- Integral 80 litre (21 gal) fuel tank and gauge
- Center console with seating for 4 adults
- Under seat storage
- Davit lifting points
- Anti-slip deck tread
- 4180lph (1100gph) Automatic bilge pump
- Navigation lights
- Ski pole with 4 rod holders
- Navman 4100SX depth sounder/fish finder
- end -
About Sealegs Corporation
Sealegs Corporation Limited is a public company listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange Main Board with the ticker symbol SLG.
Sealegs will attempt to set a new world record for the fastest crossing of the English channel by an amphibious vehicle later this year.
Sealegs amphibious boats are used by customers in New Zealand, Australia, France, UK and the USA.
Sealegs Corporation owns 100% of Sealegs International Limited, the world's leading manufacturer of amphibious boats. Sealegs International have developed a patent pending system of hydraulically motorised, steerable and retractable wheels for amphibious boats.
For more information on Sealegs see www.sealegs.com