World's first notebook PC with HD DVD-ROM Drive
Toshiba launches world’s first notebook PC with HD DVD-ROM Drive
Auckland, 19 April 2006 - Toshiba Corporation (Toshiba) today continued its roll out of next generation HD DVD products by launching the world’s first notebook PC with an HD DVD-ROM drive, the Qosmio G30.
The latest in the line-up of Toshiba’s AV notebook PC series, the Qosmio G30 will be available in Australia and New Zealand in late May 2006. Along with playback of HD DVD content, the new Qosmio can read and write to current DVD and CD discs, including DVD+/-R DL (dual-layer) and DVD-RAM.
One of the unique features of the Qosmio is its 17-inch diagonal widescreen, full-HD liquid crystal display. This WUXGA display supports 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution, achieving true high definition and the ability to playback HD DVD content (1920 x 1080 pixel). Beyond this, the new Qosmio also integrates an HDMI output in its external interface, allowing the PC to be hooked up to an HD TV and to act as the video source for large-sized TVs or home theatre projectors.
The slim-type 12.7mm-thick HD DVD-ROM drive achieves its thin form factor through an optical system that requires only a single objective lens to read HD DVD discs and to read and write to DVDs and CDs. The PC’s combination of a high-performance dual-core CPU, and a high-performance graphics accelerator with advanced PC software technology delivers best available image quality in playback of HD DVD content.
The Qosmio G30 also integrates a high quality Digital Video Broadcasting TV tuner (DVB-T), meaning Qosmio owners can receive standard or high definition digital television broadcasts, which offer better reception, a widescreen 16:9 picture-quality, high-quality audio, a greater number and choice of channels, and program guide channels. The Qosmio G30 also provides a standard analogue tuner integrated for users not in areas with digital coverage.
Callum Eade, New Zealand Country Manager for Toshiba Pty Limited Information Systems Division (ISD): “Opportunities to enjoy high-definition content will only increase as broadband networks expand and TV transitions to high definition digital broadcasts. As consumers become acquainted with HD content on their computers, they will also want it on their TVs. With Qosmio, we lead the PC industry in innovation to meet this growing demand.”
“The new Qosmio is the world’s first PC to support broadband, digital broadcasting media, and HD DVD-ROM. We have made this step to promote the early and fast penetration of the next generation DVD format,” he said.
Key Features of Qosmio G30
1. World’s first
notebook PC with HD DVD-ROM drive
- Qosmio G30 is the world's first PC to integrate an HD DVD-ROM drive, and does so with a slim-type drive only 12.7mm high. This is achieved with on-drive optical system with a single objective lens able to read HD DVD-ROM discs and read and write to DVDs and CDs.
- Playback of HD DVD content with high definition picture quality and high-quality sound made possible by HD DVD’s high density disc storage. The new Qosmio also supports the HD DVD’s enhanced functionality of a ‘pop-up menu’. While the full scope of its features will be content driven, it displays menus and movie chapters while a movie is playing, allowing users to search for functions or jump to a desired scene via the chapter guide.
- In addition to playback of HD DVD content, the Qosmio G30 integrated drive supports the functions of a DVD SuperMulti drive (HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti drive) and can write to current format discs, including DVD+/-R DL (dual-layer) and DVD-RAM.
High-performance AV notebook PC integrating a tuner for
digital terrestrial broadcasting
- The Qosmio G30 integrates a hybrid TV tuner for either digital or analogue terrestrial broadcasts.
- The 17-inch diagonal widescreen, full HD LCD reproduces high definition content of HD DVD discs and digital terrestrial broadcasts. (User can not run Digital and Analogue TV Tuner simultaneously).
- The Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology Intel Core Duo Processor offers strong support for editing motion images and 3D games. An nVidia GeForce 7600 graphics adaptor supports high-speed fine rendering of 3D graphics.
- A 1-bit digital amplifier and large diametre harman/kardon bass-reflection stereo speakers with Dolby Home Theatre technology to deliver clear sound in all ranges, from low to high.
3. Extension interface
- The Qosmio G30 offers HDCP capable HDMI output for output of a digital signal on a single cable without any compression of picture or audio data. Users can enjoy high picture quality and clear sound of HD DVD content and digital terrestrial broadcasting on a larger screen by hooking it up to the Qosmio via the PC’s HDMI interface.
- A full array of interfaces include 5.1ch digital audio output (S/P DIF), RGB, S-Video output, i.LINK (IEEE1394), AV input (composite video input, L/R audio input), and USB2.0 x 4.