New Mac OS X Leopard-Compatible Norton AntiVirus
Symantec Announces New Mac OS X
Leopard-Compatible Norton AntiVirus
Features new vulnerability protection, sleeker design and enhanced performance
Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the new Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard-compatible version of Norton AntiVirus, featuring new vulnerability protection technology, which delivers protection where many of today’s attacks occur – through applications connected to the internet. Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac also features a sleeker, redesigned user interface and enhanced performance. Norton AntiVirus is the number one selling antivirus solution for Mac. It automatically detects and removes viruses in addition to scanning and cleaning downloaded files and e-mail attachments.
Mac users get ‘just-in-time’ security with automatic updates from Symantec’s leading global security network. Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac also incorporates discrete and less obtrusive security alerts, and the product is designed to automatically update in the background, allowing users to conduct their online activities without interruption.
“With this new Leopard-ready version, Symantec is pleased to deliver industry leading protection for the Mac platform. The new vulnerability protection capabilities give our Mac customers an advanced layer of protection where it counts, addressing the shift in today’s attacks,” said Rowan Trollope, senior vice president, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec Corp. “Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac enables users to enjoy computing without worrying about malicious threats that could lead to identity theft or data loss.”
New to Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac:
• New Vulnerability Protection – Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac now provides an extra layer of protection against attacks that target software vulnerabilities. This signature-based protection prevents threats from infecting systems and deletes and blocks malware and viruses from installing when downloading pictures, music and software. This feature addresses today’s threat landscape with 78 percent of today’s attacks occurring at the web application layer.*
• Inclusive Scanning Prevents Viruses from Spreading – Detects and removes viruses and worms, prevents virus infected e-mail from spreading and protects against attacks. Even Mac users can be sent a macro virus from a friend or co-worker on a PC. Moreover, Macs may seem ‘immune’ to some threats, but they can still pass malicious code on to other users via e-mail, instant messenger or web links. Without the proper protection, Macs can be carriers for threats and infect other PCs. To address the growth of multi-platform PC and Mac environments, Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac scans for both PC and Mac vulnerabilities, viruses and macro viruses.
• Improved Performance – Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac includes performance and engine improvements to ensure better compatibility and less impact on system startup and resource usage so users can continue their online activities without a slow down in productivity. Product, virus definition and vulnerability protection updates are done automatically in the background. Once installed, Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac starts protecting users with true ‘set it and forget’ convenience while at the same time providing powerful customisation features for power users.
• Sleek, Elegant Design Mac Users Come to Expect – Designed to deliver the simplicity that Mac users have come to expect, Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac features a unique interface with easy to use set up features and wizards that indicate system status, including how and what is protected. A new Norton AntiVirus dashboard widget gives a quick summary of system protection and status. With the ‘snooze button’ scan, if a user is in the middle of watching a movie on the computer, the virus scan can be rescheduled for a more convenient time.
• Powerful Command Line Interface – Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac features can be accessed via the Terminal, allowing power users to bypass the application completely and add antivirus scans and other capabilities to their own custom scripts.
“Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac has proved to be well-designed, very effective and exceptionally fast with Tiger 10.4.x and Leopard 10.5.x,” said Norman R. Nager, Ph.D., Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac beta tester.
Symantec’s Norton Confidential for Macintosh is now also compatible with Mac OS X Leopard. Designed to work with other security solutions like Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac, Norton Confidential for Mac keeps consumers safe while shopping, banking and conducting other online transactions.
Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network
Norton AntiVirus 11.0 for Mac is backed by Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network, a worldwide network comprised of information security and operations specialists as well as Symantec’s global community of thousands of internet activity sensors. The Global Intelligence Network provides Symantec Security Response with an unparalleled, data-driven view of the entire security landscape. This holistic view translates into a unique competitive advantage, and Symantec’s worldwide reach enables Symantec to see threats first so customers can respond rapidly.
Pricing and Availability
Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac will be available for purchase on select online and retail outlets from mid December. The estimated retail price for Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac is NZ$59.95. The product includes a one-year subscription to Symantec’s protection updates. Also available for Mac OS X Leopard is Norton Confidential, Symantec’s identity protection solution. Norton Confidential for Mac is available through the Symantec Store and at select online and retail outlets for an estimated retail price of NZ$49.95.
Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, California, Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
* Symantec Security Response, Jan 2007