Advancements in Solar Energy
Advancements in Solar Energy
Programme: Master of Engineering Studies*
The use of renewable
energy is increasingly essential to achieve the Kyoto
Protocol commitment for 2012 by reducing greenhouse
emissions as well as reducing the ecological footprint of
every New Zealander. Many initiatives have already been
taken or planned by the NZ Government but a specialised
education programme has so far not been
Worldwide the use of renewable energy, in particular solar energy, is rising and shows a booming industry in which New Zealand should gain its fair share.
New Zealand’s location and climate conditions are extremely suited for all applications of solar energy. AUT’s School of Engineering has decided to promote the use of solar energy through education programs and practical information on state-of-the-art technologies, based on international best practice. A panel of experienced energy engineers with practical field experience will prepare students to implement solar energy solutions. Theoretical and practical courses are included by means of lectures, problem solving sessions, laboratory exercises, computer exercises and study visits.
*Students may enrol for a
Certificate of Proficiency (COP).
AUT’s School of Engineering will provide a unique education in solar energy engineering at its Auckland City campus.
The programme provides advanced proficiency in all main solar energy subjects through applied research, theory and practical information.
The AUT programme will be a unique experience to learn from experienced professionals in the field of solar design and engineering. A team of building service specialists, engineers, energy experts and researchers will inform students. They provide advanced technical education on solar energy for engineering, architecture and construction students.
The main overall academic objective is to offer excellent education programmes in energy science and technologies, as well as to strengthen future cooperation between leading NZ and international academic and research institutions in the utilisation of renewables.
On successful completion of this paper students will be able to:
1. Understand the potentials of Solar Energy as a renewable energy source worldwide and in New Zealand in particular
2. Evaluate the different factors that are important in all applications of solar energy
3. Understand the fundamentals of Solar Technology
4. Consider future work in the Solar Industry on many levels
5. Help finding ways to stimulate the Solar Industry and the actual market.
6. Arouse the interest for Solar Energy to a wider industry (heating industry, architects, engineers etc.)
7. Increase the professionalism towards Solar Energy with more quality and better solutions
8. Accept more Solar Energy as mature and reliable technology
9. Implement , evaluate and modify advanced Solar Systems
10. Develop services in offering consultancy, planning, design , economics and marketing Solar Energy
11. Support competently decision-makers in the uptake of Solar Systems
12. Be knowledgeable about the latest technological developments and best-practice experience
13. Supply assistance and services for high quality planning and careful system installation