Samsung Introduces the GALAXY S 4
Samsung Introduces the GALAXY S 4
A life companion for a richer, simpler and fuller life
GALAXY S 4 gets you closer to what matters in life, bringing your world together
New York, USA, March 14, 2013 — Samsung Electronics announced today the fourth generation GALAXY S – the GALAXY S 4 – designed to get you closer to what matters in life and bring your world together.
Understanding what matters most to us in our lives, the Samsung GALAXY S 4* was developed to redefine the way we live and to maximise our fulfilment of life. This sleek and innovative smartphone makes every moment of life very meaningful; it understands the value of relationships, enabling true connections with friends and family. It believes in the importance of an effortless user experience, making your life easy and hassle-free; and, it empowers your life, helping take care of your well-being.
The beauty of the phone is the highly crafted design encompassing a larger screen size and battery, minimised bezel; all housed in a light (130g) and slim (7.9mm) shape. The Samsung GALAXY S 4 is slimmer yet stronger, with less to hold yet more to see. At launch, two colour options will be available – Black Mist and White Frost – with a variety of additional colour options to follow later this year.
“With the GALAXY S 4, Samsung is again going to enhance the way we live,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung. “All the innovative features of GALAXY S 4 were developed based on the insights and needs we found from our consumers all around the world. Following the successful GALAXY S series, this phone is yet another great proof point of people-inspired innovation. At Samsung we’ll never stop pursuing innovation conceived by people, so we can inspire them in return.”
Meaningful Moments – Gives Greater Enjoyment
A rich life is one that’s filled with meaningful moments and the GALAXY S 4 captures and shares those special moments. The GALAXY S 4 has the world’s first Full HD Super AMOLED display to showcase images at their very best. Its 5-inch large screen has 441ppi for stunning viewing quality. The Samsung GALAXY S 4 also utilises Corning’s new Gorilla® Glass 3**, making it a durable travel companion for all of life’s adventures.
Equipped with a 13 megapixel rear camera, the GALAXY S 4 also boasts a ‘Dual Camera’ function that allows simultaneous use of both front and rear cameras. When capturing moments, users can choose from a variety of frame effects which blend the two pictures naturally and also adjust the size of the small picture inside the big one. Users can select eight different ways to combine the two photos taken by the front camera and the rear camera. At the same time, the ‘Dual Video Call’ function enables you to make and receive a video call with friends and family while showing what you are looking at during the call.
The camera functionality extends beyond Dual Camera, as the device is also equipped with 12 outstanding shooting modes including ‘Drama Shot’ which allows you to see all the action in one continuous time-lapse, and ‘Sound & Shot’. Sound & Shot uniquely stores sound and voice together as the picture is taken so those special moments are captured in the truest form imaginable, exactly as they happened.
These meaningful moments can also now automatically be stored in a photo album, with the new ‘Story Album’ function. Photos taken by the GALAXY S 4 are automatically gathered and sorted out according to your timeline, geo-tagging information, or a specific event to create a photo album. These unique story albums can be ordered and delivered as an offline photo album through a new partnership with Blurb****, so you can keep those precious moments safe to look at and share time and time again.
True Connections – Brings People Together
Samsung GALAXY S 4 enables true connections with the people in our lives. It is more than a personal device that can be enjoyed by one user – it makes the most of our relationships allowing us to easily share and experience many of life’s pleasures together with family and friends, wherever you are.
With its ‘Group Play’^ function, users can enjoy music, photos, documents and games with those around them without even requiring a Wi-Fi AP or cellular signal. This innovative feature enables users to connect directly with others to share, play and co-create content and entertainment instantly. Its ‘Share Music’^ option allows users to have the same song playing on multiple phones in sync to create the best party atmosphere.
The GALAXY S 4 brings all people closer together by breaking down language barriers. It makes international travel a joy, with ‘S Translator’ which provides instant translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email, text message and ChatON. This instant translation is possible both from speech to text and text to speech and ensures that you can rely on the correct information whilst abroad.
The GALAXY S 4 supports HSPA+42 Mbps and 4G LTE which means wherever you are in the world, you can rely on perfect connectivity. Especially, the LTE version supports up to six different band sets which allows it to function in most LTE coverage areas as well as enabling global LTE roaming.
Effortless Experience – Makes Things More Convenient
In today’s world, we are all looking for smart ways to make life easier and less stressful. The GALAXY S 4 ensures that tasks are effortless with innovative features that detect your face, voice and motions to enable screen control with no need for finger touch activation.
‘Samsung Smart Pause’ enables you to control the screen by where you look. When you are watching a video, the video pauses when you look away then it starts right up again when you are back. ‘Samsung Smart Scroll’ allows you to scroll the browser or emails up and down without touching the screen. It recognises your face looking at the screen and movement of your wrist and then scrolls the pages up or down accordingly.
‘Air View’*** allows users to hover with their fingers to preview the content of an email, S Planner, image gallery or video without having to open it. You can even see a magnified view on the internet browser, or a phone number saved in the speed dial on the keypad. With ‘Air Gesture’, you can change the music track, scroll up and down a web page, or accept a call with a wave of your hand.
With ‘S VoiceTM Drive’^^ you can activate commands via voice control for optimisation when driving. Once connected with a car Bluetooth, the phone automatically turns into driving mode converting text to speech so you can easily and safely check messages with no need to look at the screen.
‘Samsung Optical Reader’ makes life yet more effortless, by automatically recognising text, a business card or QR code information, and providing useful functions such as translation, call, text message and search.
At home, using ‘Samsung WatchON’, the GALAXY S 4 will transform into an infrared remote to control your home entertainment system including TV, set-top box, DVD player and even air conditioner. In addition, you can enjoy various content including live TV, cable TV and video-on-demand based on the rich information provided by EPG (Electronic Program Guide).
Empowered Living – Takes Care Of Your Health and Quality of Life
The GALAXY S 4 empowers your life by keeping you up-to-date with health and wellbeing information using the new ‘S Health’ software. The combination of sensors built within the device systematically and automatically monitors your health, surroundings and so much more to help improve your quality of life. Also, users can easily check their health conditions using food diary, exercise diary and sleep monitor to stay fit and healthy (certain functions are enabled by specific accessories).
To further protect your wellbeing, ‘Samsung Adapt Display’ provides an optimal viewing experience, customised for each type of application, and ‘Samsung Adapt Sound’ offers an optimal level and type of sound, personalised for each user, to make the most out of life.
The Samsung GALAXY S 4 will be available in the second quarter of the year in New Zealand from major mobile retailers nationwide.
For multimedia content and more detailed information, and images, please visit: www.samsungmobilepress.com.
Note to Editors:
Endorsement by Mobile Operators:
Heikki Makijarvi, SVP of
"The new Samsung GALAXY S 4 is impressive. After the extremely successful launch of GALAXY S III, Deutsche Telekom is very proud to launch its successor in Europe. We are happy to work with Samsung to bring a new level of smartphone experience to our customers."
Yves Maitre, SVP Mobile Multimedia
& Devices, France Telecom - Orange
“Orange is delighted to be working with Samsung again to deliver a new evolution of smartphones to our customers. We have already rolled out new superfast LTE networks in seven countries in Europe to date, and are committed to launching LTE services across Europe by 2015. This partnership will deliver a rich suite of services to our customers, thanks to its 4G and NFC capabilities, ensuring our customers benefit from great looking products that provide fast and easy access to all of their favourite content wherever they are.”
Group Devices Director in Telefonica
“The Samsung GALAXY S 4 is a great device that will help to make a big step forward in the Premium Smartphone category. We are delighted to be partnering to bring this device to market across a number of our global channels,” commented Marieta Rivero, Group Devices Director in Telefonica.
Samsung GALAXY S 4 Product Specifications:
(GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz|
3G (HSPA+ 42Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
4G (LTE Cat 3 100/50Mbps) : up to 6 different band sets(Dependent on market)
|Display||5 inch Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi|
Quad-Core Processor / 1.6 GHz Octa-Core Processor|
The selection of AP will be differed by markets.
|OS||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
13 Mega pixel Auto Focus camera with Flash & Zero Shutter
Sub (Front): 2 Mega pixel camera, Full HD recording @30fps with Zero Shutter Lag, BIS
MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8,
Sorenson Spark, HEVC|
Recording & Playback: Full HD (1080p)
|Audio||Codec: MP3, AMR-NB/WB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AC-3, apt-X|
Camera: Dual Shot / Dual Recording/ Dual Video Call|
Drama Shot, Sound & Shot, 360 Photo, Cinema Photo, Eraser, Night, Best Photo, Best Face,
Beauty Face, HDR (High Dynamic Range), Panorama, Sports
|Additional Features||Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Document, Play Games|
|Story Album, S Translator, Optical Reader|
|Samsung Smart Scroll, Samsung Smart Pause, Air Gesture, Air View,|
| Samsung Hub, ChatON (Voice/Video
Call, Share screen, 3-way calling) |
|S Travel (Trip Advisor), S Voice™ Drive, S Health|
Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound|
Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly)
|Safety Assistance, Samsung Link, Screen Mirroring|
|Samsung KNOX (B2B only)|
|Google Mobile Services||Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail,
Google Play Store, Google Plus, YouTube, Google Talk,
Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads, Voice Search
802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (HT80)|
GPS / GLONASS
NFC, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
IR LED (Remote Control), MHL 2.0
RGB light, Geomagnetic, Proximity, Gyro,
Temperature & Humidity, Gesture
32/ 64 GB User memory + microSD slot (up to 64GB)|
|Dimension||136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm, 130g|
* All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
** Samsung GALAXY S 4 uses Corning’s new Gorilla® Glass 3 with Native Damage Resistance™. This cover glass, Corning’s newest formulation, enables improved damage and scratch resistance and reduced scratch visibility.
Android, Google, Android Beam, Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude, Google Play, Google Plus. YouTube, Google Talk, Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads are trademarks of Google Inc.
*** Internet connection required. Data download and usage charges may apply.
**** Blurb, the global creative publishing platform, partners with Samsung to power worldwide book and magazine print production and fulfillment within the GALAXY S 4’s new Story Album application. Users of Story Album will now be able to automatically create professional quality print photo books and magazines quickly and seamlessly from their camera phone images.
^ Samsung's features and applications are intended solely for private and domestic use. Any other use may be contrary to the law, including copyright law. It is a breach of copyright to record any broadcast other than solely for private and domestic use by watching or listening to the material broadcast at a more convenient time. Samsung does not authorise, sanction, approve or countenance any use of its features or applications that infringe copyright or are otherwise contrary to law.
^^ Performance of S Voice
function may vary depending on the language spoken and
including ambient noise.
About Samsung Electronics Co.,
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 236,000 people across 79 countries with annual sales exceeding KRW 201 trillion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
Alex Swney, former chief executive of the Auckland city centre business association Heart of the City, has pleaded guilty to dishonestly using documents to obtain $2.5 million. More>>
- Serious Fraud Office - Alex Swney pleads guilty to SFO fraud charge
The consumers price index (CPI) fell 0.3 percent in the March 2015 quarter, following a 0.2 percent fall in the December 2014 quarter, Statistics New Zealand said today. The last time the CPI showed two consecutive quarterly falls was in the December 1998 and March 1999 quarters. More>>
- Scoop Business - Petrol price falls main cause of second quarter of deflation - NZ petrol prices rise and fall faster these days, says NZIER - NZ dollar gains on expectation RBNZ will discount oil impact
- Greens - Housing crisis now main obstacle to interest rate cut
- NZ Council of Trade Unions - Reserve Bank must lower interest rate
- First Union - Low inflation means it’s time for a pay rise
- Z Energy - Petrol prices fall as quickly as they rise
New Zealand broadcasters have confirmed they’ve launched legal proceedings against internet service providers who give customers’ access to “global mode”, which allows customers access to offshore online content, claiming it breaches the local content providers’ copyright. More>>
- Bypass Network Services - Big Media Gang takes consumer choice to court
The decision comes after a period of consultation with the 232 staff employed at the Riccarton site, who were told on 9 April that Sanford was considering the future of mussel processing in Christchurch. Recent weather patterns had impacted on natural spat (offspring) supply... More>>
- Service And Food Workers Union - Sanford closure: redundancy pay an insult to workers
Dairy product prices fell in the latest GlobalDairyTrade auction, hitting the lowest level in the 2015 auctions so far, as prices for milk powder and butter slid amid concern about the outlook for commodities. More>>
- Labour - Milk price halves: A $7b economic black hole
- Federated Farmers - Few opportunities to lift dairy prices short term
- TV3 Video - Fonterra takes another hit as dairy prices fall
Air New Zealand will fly its completely refitted Boeing 777-200 aircraft between Auckland and Houston up to five times a week opening up the state of Texas as well as popular nearby tourist states such as Louisiana and Florida. More>>
- NZ Govt - PM welcomes direct flights to Houston
- Tourism Industry Association - New direct air service will fuel US visitor growth
- Flight Centre - Everything’s bigger in Texas! - travel stateside on the rise
- Tourism NZ - Spectacular news from Air New Zealand, says tourism partner
The Reserve Bank has urged the government to take another look at a capital gains tax on investment in housing, allow increased high-density development and cut red tape for planning consents to address an over-heated Auckland property market. More>>
- Reserve Bank - Action needed to reduce housing imbalances
- Labour - Reserve Bank scathing of Government
- Greens - John Key must introduce a Capital Gains Tax
- NZMEA - RBNZ right to suggest tax changes for housing
- TV3 Video - Reserve Bank targets capital gains tax
- Out-Link - Building and Housing Minister on Reserve Bank's housing warning | Radio New Zealand
- ADInstruments Brazil welcomes New Zealand Trade Delegation 11:30 AM | Glow Consulting
- Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision Chief Executive Appointed 25/04/15 | Nga Taonga Sound and Vision
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares rise; Spark, Meridian gain 24/04/15 | BusinessDesk
- Kiwi heads for 1.7% weekly fall as RBNZ rules out rate hike 24/04/15 | BusinessDesk
- Copy wrong? Copy right! 24/04/15 | Internet NZ
- Commerce Commission prosecutes Twenty Fifty Club 24/04/15 | Commerce Commission
- Opus wins award for innovative environmental management 24/04/15 | Opus International Consu...
- This Week in Sci-Tech 24/04/15 | Science Media Centre
- ANZAC Weekend weather 24/04/15 | NIWA
- House of Science develops aquaculture kit for schools 24/04/15 | House of Science
- Every Draft Needs An Editor 23/04/15 | Deconstruct Paris
- Approval for horticultural fungicide 23/04/15 | Environmental Protection Authority
- Chilly morning starts 23/04/15 | MetService
- Ocean wealth valued at US$24 trillion, but sinking fast 23/04/15 | WWF
- Ross Patterson: NZ private sector fibre beats Aust... 22 Apr | Bill Bennett
- NZ Tech Podcast 225 in London: Apple Watch, Game o... 22 Apr | Bill Bennett
- NZ SMEs say technology has no business impact 22 Apr | Bill Bennett
- Open Source Open Society 2016: Sign me up 20 Apr | Bill Bennett
- Ten lessons from Open Source Open Society 2015 10:30 PM | Bill Bennett
- How open source grew up 2:52 AM | Bill Bennett
- Where open data meets open government… 6:42 AM | Bill Bennett
- Trade First Then Talk Human Rights with Saudi Arab... 12:37 PM | admin
- Key should not trade with nations that behead 11:32 AM | admin
- ADInstruments Brazil welcomes New Zealand Trade De... 11:30 AM | admin
- Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision Chief Executive Appointe... 24 Apr | admin
- Response to Kiwi Jihadi’s video about ANZAC Day 24 Apr | admin
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares rise; Spark, Meridian gain 23 Apr | admin
- Kiwi heads for 1.7% weekly fall as RBNZ rules out ... 23 Apr | admin
- Valuecruncher data feeds 4:18 AM | The Crunch
- Updated Valuecruncher Dataset 02 Feb | The Crunch
- Guest Post – Andrew Smith on Apple (AAPL) 25 Nov | The Crunch
- Woodward Research provides free equity research re... 25 Nov | The Crunch
- Some quick thoughts on the LinkedIn ($LNKD) IPO 20 May | The Crunch
- Company of the Day Tweets – 30 December 2010 30 Dec | The Crunch
- NZX (New Zealand) Company of the Day Tweets – 30 D... 30 Dec | The Crunch
- 1. Powershop and Pulse big winners of electricity customer switch
- 2. Stuff.co.nz: Stable power prices expected
- 3. Stuff.co.nz: Force against Powershop over Darth Vader image
- 4. Stuff.co.nz: Powershop 6th Fastest Growing Company in Asia Pacific
- 5. Forbes.com: Powershop - The eBay of Electricity by Tony Seba
- 6. NZ Herald: Powershop Tops Rankings For Consumer Satisfaction (Again)
Business SciTech Section Blogroll
- Business.scoop - Jonathan Underhill and Pattrick Smellie
- The Main Report - Trends In NZ Business
- NZ Transport Intelligence Briefing
- Profitable Agri-Business Farming News
- 2011 Election Results Graphic - NZ Election Results - 2011 NZ Election Results - 2011 NZ General Election Results
- NZ Dollar/US Graph
- NZ & AUS Shares
- JP Yen/US Dollar Graph
- Global Share Markets
- Global Currencies
- Oil Futures
- Spot Gold
- GPS fleet management
- ReadWriteWeb - Web Apps, Web Technology Trends, Social Networking & Social Media
Scoop Techlab Smartphone Reviews: