Samsung Introduces the GALAXY S 4
Samsung Introduces the GALAXY S 4
A life companion for a richer, simpler and fuller life
GALAXY S 4 gets you closer to what matters in life, bringing your world together
New York, USA, March 14, 2013 — Samsung Electronics announced today the fourth generation GALAXY S – the GALAXY S 4 – designed to get you closer to what matters in life and bring your world together.
Understanding what matters most to us in our lives, the Samsung GALAXY S 4* was developed to redefine the way we live and to maximise our fulfilment of life. This sleek and innovative smartphone makes every moment of life very meaningful; it understands the value of relationships, enabling true connections with friends and family. It believes in the importance of an effortless user experience, making your life easy and hassle-free; and, it empowers your life, helping take care of your well-being.
The beauty of the phone is the highly crafted design encompassing a larger screen size and battery, minimised bezel; all housed in a light (130g) and slim (7.9mm) shape. The Samsung GALAXY S 4 is slimmer yet stronger, with less to hold yet more to see. At launch, two colour options will be available – Black Mist and White Frost – with a variety of additional colour options to follow later this year.
“With the GALAXY S 4, Samsung is again going to enhance the way we live,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung. “All the innovative features of GALAXY S 4 were developed based on the insights and needs we found from our consumers all around the world. Following the successful GALAXY S series, this phone is yet another great proof point of people-inspired innovation. At Samsung we’ll never stop pursuing innovation conceived by people, so we can inspire them in return.”
Meaningful Moments – Gives Greater Enjoyment
A rich life is one that’s filled with meaningful moments and the GALAXY S 4 captures and shares those special moments. The GALAXY S 4 has the world’s first Full HD Super AMOLED display to showcase images at their very best. Its 5-inch large screen has 441ppi for stunning viewing quality. The Samsung GALAXY S 4 also utilises Corning’s new Gorilla® Glass 3**, making it a durable travel companion for all of life’s adventures.
Equipped with a 13 megapixel rear camera, the GALAXY S 4 also boasts a ‘Dual Camera’ function that allows simultaneous use of both front and rear cameras. When capturing moments, users can choose from a variety of frame effects which blend the two pictures naturally and also adjust the size of the small picture inside the big one. Users can select eight different ways to combine the two photos taken by the front camera and the rear camera. At the same time, the ‘Dual Video Call’ function enables you to make and receive a video call with friends and family while showing what you are looking at during the call.
The camera functionality extends beyond Dual Camera, as the device is also equipped with 12 outstanding shooting modes including ‘Drama Shot’ which allows you to see all the action in one continuous time-lapse, and ‘Sound & Shot’. Sound & Shot uniquely stores sound and voice together as the picture is taken so those special moments are captured in the truest form imaginable, exactly as they happened.
These meaningful moments can also now automatically be stored in a photo album, with the new ‘Story Album’ function. Photos taken by the GALAXY S 4 are automatically gathered and sorted out according to your timeline, geo-tagging information, or a specific event to create a photo album. These unique story albums can be ordered and delivered as an offline photo album through a new partnership with Blurb****, so you can keep those precious moments safe to look at and share time and time again.
True Connections – Brings People Together
Samsung GALAXY S 4 enables true connections with the people in our lives. It is more than a personal device that can be enjoyed by one user – it makes the most of our relationships allowing us to easily share and experience many of life’s pleasures together with family and friends, wherever you are.
With its ‘Group Play’^ function, users can enjoy music, photos, documents and games with those around them without even requiring a Wi-Fi AP or cellular signal. This innovative feature enables users to connect directly with others to share, play and co-create content and entertainment instantly. Its ‘Share Music’^ option allows users to have the same song playing on multiple phones in sync to create the best party atmosphere.
The GALAXY S 4 brings all people closer together by breaking down language barriers. It makes international travel a joy, with ‘S Translator’ which provides instant translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email, text message and ChatON. This instant translation is possible both from speech to text and text to speech and ensures that you can rely on the correct information whilst abroad.
The GALAXY S 4 supports HSPA+42 Mbps and 4G LTE which means wherever you are in the world, you can rely on perfect connectivity. Especially, the LTE version supports up to six different band sets which allows it to function in most LTE coverage areas as well as enabling global LTE roaming.
Effortless Experience – Makes Things More Convenient
In today’s world, we are all looking for smart ways to make life easier and less stressful. The GALAXY S 4 ensures that tasks are effortless with innovative features that detect your face, voice and motions to enable screen control with no need for finger touch activation.
‘Samsung Smart Pause’ enables you to control the screen by where you look. When you are watching a video, the video pauses when you look away then it starts right up again when you are back. ‘Samsung Smart Scroll’ allows you to scroll the browser or emails up and down without touching the screen. It recognises your face looking at the screen and movement of your wrist and then scrolls the pages up or down accordingly.
‘Air View’*** allows users to hover with their fingers to preview the content of an email, S Planner, image gallery or video without having to open it. You can even see a magnified view on the internet browser, or a phone number saved in the speed dial on the keypad. With ‘Air Gesture’, you can change the music track, scroll up and down a web page, or accept a call with a wave of your hand.
With ‘S VoiceTM Drive’^^ you can activate commands via voice control for optimisation when driving. Once connected with a car Bluetooth, the phone automatically turns into driving mode converting text to speech so you can easily and safely check messages with no need to look at the screen.
‘Samsung Optical Reader’ makes life yet more effortless, by automatically recognising text, a business card or QR code information, and providing useful functions such as translation, call, text message and search.
At home, using ‘Samsung WatchON’, the GALAXY S 4 will transform into an infrared remote to control your home entertainment system including TV, set-top box, DVD player and even air conditioner. In addition, you can enjoy various content including live TV, cable TV and video-on-demand based on the rich information provided by EPG (Electronic Program Guide).
Empowered Living – Takes Care Of Your Health and Quality of Life
The GALAXY S 4 empowers your life by keeping you up-to-date with health and wellbeing information using the new ‘S Health’ software. The combination of sensors built within the device systematically and automatically monitors your health, surroundings and so much more to help improve your quality of life. Also, users can easily check their health conditions using food diary, exercise diary and sleep monitor to stay fit and healthy (certain functions are enabled by specific accessories).
To further protect your wellbeing, ‘Samsung Adapt Display’ provides an optimal viewing experience, customised for each type of application, and ‘Samsung Adapt Sound’ offers an optimal level and type of sound, personalised for each user, to make the most out of life.
The Samsung GALAXY S 4 will be available in the second quarter of the year in New Zealand from major mobile retailers nationwide.
For multimedia content and more detailed information, and images, please visit: www.samsungmobilepress.com.
Note to Editors:
Endorsement by Mobile Operators:
Heikki Makijarvi, SVP of
"The new Samsung GALAXY S 4 is impressive. After the extremely successful launch of GALAXY S III, Deutsche Telekom is very proud to launch its successor in Europe. We are happy to work with Samsung to bring a new level of smartphone experience to our customers."
Yves Maitre, SVP Mobile Multimedia
& Devices, France Telecom - Orange
“Orange is delighted to be working with Samsung again to deliver a new evolution of smartphones to our customers. We have already rolled out new superfast LTE networks in seven countries in Europe to date, and are committed to launching LTE services across Europe by 2015. This partnership will deliver a rich suite of services to our customers, thanks to its 4G and NFC capabilities, ensuring our customers benefit from great looking products that provide fast and easy access to all of their favourite content wherever they are.”
Group Devices Director in Telefonica
“The Samsung GALAXY S 4 is a great device that will help to make a big step forward in the Premium Smartphone category. We are delighted to be partnering to bring this device to market across a number of our global channels,” commented Marieta Rivero, Group Devices Director in Telefonica.
Samsung GALAXY S 4 Product Specifications:
(GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz|
3G (HSPA+ 42Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
4G (LTE Cat 3 100/50Mbps) : up to 6 different band sets(Dependent on market)
|Display||5 inch Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi|
Quad-Core Processor / 1.6 GHz Octa-Core Processor|
The selection of AP will be differed by markets.
|OS||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
13 Mega pixel Auto Focus camera with Flash & Zero Shutter
Sub (Front): 2 Mega pixel camera, Full HD recording @30fps with Zero Shutter Lag, BIS
MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8,
Sorenson Spark, HEVC|
Recording & Playback: Full HD (1080p)
|Audio||Codec: MP3, AMR-NB/WB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AC-3, apt-X|
Camera: Dual Shot / Dual Recording/ Dual Video Call|
Drama Shot, Sound & Shot, 360 Photo, Cinema Photo, Eraser, Night, Best Photo, Best Face,
Beauty Face, HDR (High Dynamic Range), Panorama, Sports
|Additional Features||Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Document, Play Games|
|Story Album, S Translator, Optical Reader|
|Samsung Smart Scroll, Samsung Smart Pause, Air Gesture, Air View,|
| Samsung Hub, ChatON (Voice/Video
Call, Share screen, 3-way calling) |
|S Travel (Trip Advisor), S Voice™ Drive, S Health|
Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound|
Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly)
|Safety Assistance, Samsung Link, Screen Mirroring|
|Samsung KNOX (B2B only)|
|Google Mobile Services||Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail,
Google Play Store, Google Plus, YouTube, Google Talk,
Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads, Voice Search
802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (HT80)|
GPS / GLONASS
NFC, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
IR LED (Remote Control), MHL 2.0
RGB light, Geomagnetic, Proximity, Gyro,
Temperature & Humidity, Gesture
32/ 64 GB User memory + microSD slot (up to 64GB)|
|Dimension||136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm, 130g|
* All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
** Samsung GALAXY S 4 uses Corning’s new Gorilla® Glass 3 with Native Damage Resistance™. This cover glass, Corning’s newest formulation, enables improved damage and scratch resistance and reduced scratch visibility.
Android, Google, Android Beam, Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude, Google Play, Google Plus. YouTube, Google Talk, Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads are trademarks of Google Inc.
*** Internet connection required. Data download and usage charges may apply.
**** Blurb, the global creative publishing platform, partners with Samsung to power worldwide book and magazine print production and fulfillment within the GALAXY S 4’s new Story Album application. Users of Story Album will now be able to automatically create professional quality print photo books and magazines quickly and seamlessly from their camera phone images.
^ Samsung's features and applications are intended solely for private and domestic use. Any other use may be contrary to the law, including copyright law. It is a breach of copyright to record any broadcast other than solely for private and domestic use by watching or listening to the material broadcast at a more convenient time. Samsung does not authorise, sanction, approve or countenance any use of its features or applications that infringe copyright or are otherwise contrary to law.
^^ Performance of S Voice
function may vary depending on the language spoken and
including ambient noise.
About Samsung Electronics Co.,
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 236,000 people across 79 countries with annual sales exceeding KRW 201 trillion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
The campaign – which includes a special web site through which New Zealanders can e-mail their own and other MPs and party leaders – is backed by Age Concern, Consumer NZ, the Financial Services Council and the Taxpayers’ Union. More>>
- NZ First - Reward Kiwis Who Save, Don’t Hit Them with Taxes
- NZ Taxpayers' Union - Taxpayers’ Union Support ‘Fair Tax for Savers' Campaign
The Wellington Gateway Partnership, led by a unit of ASX-listed Leighton Holdings, has won the $1 billion contract to build the Transmission Gully road north of Wellington. More>>
- Wellington.Scoop - Transmission Gully – big profits to be made
- Wellington Gateway Partnership - WGP and NZTA reach financial close for Transmission Gully
- NZ Govt - Transmission Gully by 2020 great news
- Greens - Govt fudging figures over Transmission Gully
- United Future - Dunne Welcomes Signing of Transmission Gully Contract
- Greater Wellington Regional Council - Certainty of Transmission Gully Motorway great news
- Porirua City Council - Transmission Gully All Go
- BNZ - BNZ funds Transmission Gully PPP
- NZCID - Transmission Gully PPP brings innovative approach
- Road Transport Forum - Transmission Gully contract right move
- Automobile Association - AA delighted at next step for Transmission Gully
Fresh water quality is the latest area to be in the sights of Gareth Morgan and his research organisation The Morgan Foundation... They found that the fresh water policy was a bit murkier than the Environment Minister let on. More>>
- Science Media Centre - SMC Heads-Up: freshwater science, battling defaunation
- Image TV3 Video - Report exposes New Zealand's filthy rivers
Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler raised the official cash rate as expected, while signalling a pause in rate hikes to assess the impact of moves so far this year. The kiwi dollar sank after Wheeler said its strength was “unjustified” and that the currency could have “a significant fall.” More>>
- BusinessDesk - NZ dollar falls after RBNZ says kiwi strength 'unjustified'
- Business NZ - Period of OCR stability now needed
- TV3 Video - OCR raised to 3.5 percent
Fonterra is looking at realigning its packing operations at Canpac, in the Waikato, to focus more on paediatric nutritionals... The proposed changes could mean around 110 roles may not be required at the site which currently employs 330. More>>
- Scoop Business - Fonterra to lay off up to 110 staff at Waikato packing plant
- Labour - Fonterra job losses a massive blow to Waikato
- Dairy Workers Union - Redundancies at Fonterra packaging facility in Waikato
- EPMU - Job losses show the dangers of relying on dairy exports
- MyFarm - Dairy farming outlook good
- TV3 Video - Fonterra may cut jobs at Hamilton plant
The Postie Plus brand is getting a new lease of life after South Africa’s Pepkor bought the failed retailer’s assets out of administration and said it will use its purchasing power to reduce costs of stock and fatten margins. More>>
- Earlier Scoop Business - Postie Plus sold as going concern to Sth Africa’s Pepkor
- Pepkor - International retailer sees bright future for new Postie
- PricewaterhouseCoopers - Postie Plus Group Limited (Administrators Appointed)
- Record entry for Hirepool Construction Excellence Awards 1:09 PM | Hirepool Limited
- Hop on, hop off guided travel network has a new leader 1:05 PM | Stray
- Commerce Commission: consumer credit community of interest 12:56 PM | Commerce Commission
- NZ Company joins Japan's largest Internet marketing agency 12:53 PM | Shuttlerock
- Latest energy statistics published 12:53 PM | Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment
- NZ exporters should think premium in targeting China 12:45 PM | BusinessDesk
- Whittaker’s recall of batch of Almond Gold Mini Slabs 12:34 PM | Whittakers
- The weekend isn't pretty 1:19 PM | MetService
- Methylglyoxal in Guidelines for Labelling Manuka Honey 1:07 PM | Manuka Health NZ
- Warming up a little this week 28/07/14 | MetService
- SMC Heads-Up: freshwater science, battling defaunation 25/07/14 | Science Media Centre
- Smart technology helps scientists enhance high-value algae 25/07/14 | Cawthron Institute
- A welcome break ahead 24/07/14 | MetService
- Antarctic fish should survive global warming 24/07/14 | University of Canterbury
- Word processor alternatives 9:13 PM | Bill Bennett
- Word processors still geared to print 7:20 AM | Bill Bennett
- How to blog like an old school journalist: Wordca... 27 Jul | Bill Bennett
- The surprising power of Apple Keynote 6.0 27 Jul | Bill Bennett
- Global Innovation Index says New Zealand lags Aust... 18 Jul | Bill Bennett
- Vodafone Smart 4 mini 18 Jul | Bill Bennett
- Asus Transformer Pad TF103 1:11 AM | Bill Bennett
- 1. Rediscovering Apps With The BlackBerry Z10 - Lyndon Hood
- 2. BlackBerry Z10 - The Good Stuff You May Have Missed - Bill Bennett
- 3. Peter Kerr - HTC One A Treasure Trove of Features
- 4. Bill Bennett - Z10 - A Smartphone For Business
- 5. Lyndon Hood - BlackBerry Z10 vs. My Mac and Nokia
- 6. Life On The Move With The Nokia Lumia 625 - Bill Bennett
- 7. Outlink: Telecom Mobile Picks
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: Amanda Cropp's Nokia 920 Family (Part Two ) And 4 Phones Makes A Family http://t.co/xJ12zUovef @ScoopTechlab @TelecomNZ
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: Scoop TechLab | Jessie Jeffries | The Best For Facebook and Instagram Especially - HTC 8S http://t.co/L7bdd2sDUO @ScoopTechl…
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: A bunch of entries from the @ScoopTechlab Samsung Note II giveaway competition we are running with @TelecomnZ http://t.co/fz…
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: Wellington at night pano compare - iPhone5 - @ScoopTechlab http://t.co/5PmPqlXjml
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: No filter HTC One - Wellington at night. @SCOOPTECHLAB http://t.co/VeL5T6Lgd7
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: Coming soon on @ScoopNZ a 20 minute interview with @KimDotcom about the raid, his arrest and aftermath https://t.co/qV7cV2j97…
- ScoopTechLab: RT @althecat: There is advert for my new HTC One outside my office door! @ScoopTechlab http://t.co/9fBDNJ8os7
- NZ exporters should think premium in targeting Chi... 12:45 PM | admin
- Manuka honey labelling guide a positive step for N... 12:40 PM | admin
- Whittaker’s recall of batch of Almond Gold Mini S... 12:34 PM | admin
- Surfing This Economic Boom 12:27 PM | admin
- Film studios functioning well despite fire 12:21 PM | admin
- Transport Agency – lower blood alcohol limit will ... 12:15 PM | admin
- New state-of-the-art pergola at Walter Peak 12:08 PM | admin
- Valuecruncher data feeds 4:18 AM | The Crunch
- Updated Valuecruncher Dataset 02 Feb | The Crunch
- Guest Post – Andrew Smith on Apple (AAPL) 25 Nov | The Crunch
- Woodward Research provides free equity research re... 25 Nov | The Crunch
- Some quick thoughts on the LinkedIn ($LNKD) IPO 20 May | The Crunch
- Company of the Day Tweets – 30 December 2010 30 Dec | The Crunch
- NZX (New Zealand) Company of the Day Tweets – 30 D... 30 Dec | The Crunch
- 1. Powershop and Pulse big winners of electricity customer switch
- 2. Stuff.co.nz: Stable power prices expected
- 3. Stuff.co.nz: Force against Powershop over Darth Vader image
- 4. Stuff.co.nz: Powershop 6th Fastest Growing Company in Asia Pacific
- 5. Forbes.com: Powershop - The eBay of Electricity by Tony Seba
- 6. NZ Herald: Powershop Tops Rankings For Consumer Satisfaction (Again)
Business SciTech Section Blogroll
- Business.scoop - Jonathan Underhill and Pattrick Smellie
- The Main Report - Trends In NZ Business
- NZ Transport Intelligence Briefing
- Profitable Agri-Business Farming News
- 2011 Election Results Graphic - NZ Election Results - 2011 NZ Election Results - 2011 NZ General Election Results
- NZ Dollar/US Graph
- NZ & AUS Shares
- JP Yen/US Dollar Graph
- Global Share Markets
- Global Currencies
- Oil Futures
- Spot Gold
- GPS fleet management
- ReadWriteWeb - Web Apps, Web Technology Trends, Social Networking & Social Media
Scoop Techlab Smartphone Reviews: