Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 


Reminder: Finishing the Removal of an Old Search Setting

Reminder: Finishing the Removal of an Old Search Setting

October 10, 2013

Last year we announced the removal of an old setting called “Who can look up your Timeline by name?” along with new controls for managing content on Facebook.

The search setting was removed last year for people who weren't using it. For the small percentage of people still using the setting, they will see reminders about it being removed in the coming weeks.

Whether you’ve been using the setting or not, the best way to control what people can find about you on Facebook is to choose who can see the individual things you share.

What setting are you removing and why?

Everyone used to have a setting called "Who can look up your Timeline by name?," which controlled whether you could be found when people typed your name into the Facebook search bar.

The setting was created when Facebook was a simple directory of profiles and it was very limited. For example, it didn’t prevent people from navigating to your Timeline by clicking your name in a story in News Feed, or from a mutual friend’s Timeline. Today, people can also search Facebook using Graph Search (for example, "People who live in Seattle,") making it even more important to control the privacy of the things you share rather than how people get to your Timeline.

The setting also made Facebook's search feature feel broken at times. For example, people told us that they found it confusing when they tried looking for someone who they knew personally and couldn't find them in search results, or when two people were in a Facebook Group and then couldn't find each other through search.


Full post: Reminder: Finishing the Removal of an Old Search Setting - Facebook Newsroom

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

More/Less Coal: Consents Granted For Coal Mine At Mangatangi

A joint Waikato District Council and Waikato Regional Council hearings committee has approved the issuing of consents to a Fonterra subsidiary for an open cast coal mine at Mangatangi, 2.5 kilometres east of Mangatawhiri, in north Waikato. More>>

ALSO:

Disasterous Year: ICNZ Warns Country Must Adapt To Extreme Weather Events

The cost of insured damage from extreme weather events for 2013 is likely to be over $100 million, making it the most costly year from storms in New Zealand since 2004, according to the Insurance Council of New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Christchurch Airport Targeting Excessive Profits - Regulator

Christchurch International Airport’s proposed prices over the next two decades are significantly higher than the Commerce Commissions’ view of what’s acceptable, and tougher disclosure requirements have had little impact on promoting price efficiency, the regulator says. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Xero Raises $180M Selling Shares At Premium To Matrix, Thiel

Xero, the cloud-based accounting company whose shares have more than doubled this year, raised $180 million selling shares to Matrix Capital Management, Peter Thiel-backed Valar Ventures and other investors to ensure it can keep bankrolling its expansion. More>>

ALSO:

Thermal Field Management: Geyser’s Revival Of International Significance

Revival of Papakura Geyser in Rotorua’s Whakarewarewa geothermal valley may be a world first, Bay of Plenty Regional Council Chief Executive Mary-Anne Macleod says. More>>

ALSO:

200 Jobs At Stake: Independent Fisheries To Consider Future Of Christchurch Plant

Intense competition from heavily discounted foreign-sourced product in its key markets has forced Christchurch-based fishing company Independent Fisheries Ltd to consider the future of its Woolston processing facilities. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: SFO Confirms Probe Into Auckland Transport Procurement

The white-collar crime investigator executed a number of search warrants at several locations yesterday as it probes an unidentified number of individuals relating to “irregularities in the procurement of services,” it said in a statement. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sci-Tech
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news